alternative bags for 6/4 rotary C (Neptune)?

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

alternative bags for 6/4 rotary C (Neptune)?

Post by barry grrr-ero »

My Cronkhite leather bag for the Neptune is not only heavy, it's also so snug as to be a pain to fit in and zip up. The upside is that the stiff leather does offer a bit more protection. Are there other alternatives I should look at for my Neptune? I don't think I want a top-loader, but I'm certainly interested in hearing the pros and cons. I know that I don't want a case at this point. Thanks in advance.

Barry Guerrero
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: alternative bags for 6/4 rotary C (Neptune)?

Post by Tom »

I cannot think of any side loading tuba gig bag available from any company. Even the offshore (China?) Reunion Blues company has apparently discontinued tuba bags, fabric or leather.

Is there a company making them I am not aware of?
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thanks Tom. Is it difficult to lift a heavy Neptune into a top loader? The Gard top-loader looks like a decent bag.

Somebody recently posted about a company in the mid-west (I think) that makes custom bags. You just send them photos and dimensions. I'm going to look for that posting.

I don't think the Gard 5/4 wheelie bag would be a great idea for this size horn. Besides, I use a baby jogger that works great!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The 20.5" bell on the Neptune really limits your options.

When I had my Neptune, it had an Alteiri bag. I'm NO fan of those bags, but this one was particularly difficult to use. Because of the size of the bell, there were 2 separate drawstrings for the top. Now, 1 drawstring gets caught on everything, so 2 of them... forget it!

My current go-to is Götz in Germany, but that is also a top-loader. I don't think there are many easy gig-bag options for 6/4 tubas.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I use the big Protec bag for my King monster rotary.It accommodates a 20 in. bell. In fact, I have one that I've used for over twenty years as well as a newer one. And they aren't that expensive... and they're side loaders. Maybe worth a look. Best of luck, Ed PS, just read Bort's post, I didn't know Neptunes sport a 20.5 in. bell but it still might work.
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Hey Barry, Just checked Dillon's site and the bigger Protec bag can take a 22 in. bell.Mabye give a call and talk to Matt. And they're under 200 bucks. Ed
The Singing Whale
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thanks. I've also sent an e-mail to Messina in Kentucky. That would be a more expensive option, so I'll definitely give Matt a call.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

I recently got the large protec and I can confirm that the Neptune fits inside the bag. In fact there's an extra 3-4 inches of space lengthwise. It's not nearly as good as a Cronkhite, but it will get the job done, especially for the price.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thanks Mark. PM sent via e-mail.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

barry grrr-ero wrote:Thanks Tom. Is it difficult to lift a heavy Neptune into a top loader? The Gard top-loader looks like a decent bag.
Oh, sorry...I did not mean to imply that I had a Neptune - I don't, so I cannot really comment about getting one into a top loader.

I was just thinking that I could not come up with anyone making a side loading tuba bag now, but there could be a few small companies willing to make one custom, like Messina.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.