The bulk of the musical talk
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Post by Salazarsam33 »

Last edited by Salazarsam33 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wisemann C
BMB F
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Warped slides.

Post by Dan Schultz »

There is NO EXCUSE for a horn to leave ANY factory with slides that aren't properly aligned. If it's been dropped and/or damaged... that's a different story.

Aligning slides as not simple at all. Basically... the slides have to be built with the tubes parallel in all directions. I like to put the slides together with the outer tubes as an assembly and then attach the assembly to the horn.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Post by Salazarsam33 »

Last edited by Salazarsam33 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wisemann C
BMB F
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Seems like a warranty item...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tubazach07

Post by tubazach07 »

If you bought it new and it came from the factory like that then you should contact Wessex and see what they can do for you. All their new horns have a warranty.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Only real way to fix it is to unsolder the entire slide, and straighten it out. It's kinda common with trombone tuning slides, as it's often easier to make them stick using bad alignment than it is using close tolerances. This also means that if you straighten out the tuning slide, suddenly it keeps falling in, something that I had happen with my Bach 42. Tech had to use a dent ball inside one leg to make it stick better.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

If there is indeed manufacturing fault, then Wessex will sort out. But I don't understand the description of the problem. Are we talking about a slide actually bent banana like (which is what I would call warped), or are we talking about two legs of slide not precisely parallel? If the latter then is it the inner or outer slide (the ones fixed, or slide pulled)? Are we talking of one slide, or multiple? Understanding the problem would determine any course of action.

As the tuba would have been carefully checked at factory before accepting, I am very surprised to hear of any problem - as checking all slides is part of our quality assurance inspection. If slides would not smoothly pull, then the tuba would be rejected.

If any parts are required, then we can pick up from factory during next visit in early June.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

When it comes to being precisely aligned so as to make a very easy and light pull, such as needed on the 1st valve, it is truly important for perfect allignment as well as having a bit of lapping done to the slide. That type of allignment, while great if it comes from the factory that way, is not always the case. Even on very high end horns, I have rarely found a "perfect and smooth" slide. I once had a state of the art German (name not mentioned) F tuba on which not one slide was parallel. Part of the issue is often that the crook is not the same fit as the two slides, hence a V effect happens to accommodate the discrpency in the measurement. Yes the slide will still pull, but even with lapping, it would never be acceptable for tuning on the fly. But that is one of the things great technicians do when they "set up" a horn.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

:arrow: :idea: :arrow: :idea: :arrow: :idea: :arrow: :idea: :arrow:
bloke wrote: Regardless, it takes a lot of time (i.e. costs a lot of money) to build a valveset with a complete set of "perfect" slides...several extra hours. In particular, the (front-action piston valve) #3 slide loop - with its upper slide/lower slide relationship (as they share a common outside slide tube, and the braces/crooks/casing ports all have to "hit it dead on the nose") - takes an extraordinary amount of time to line up perfectly.

As far as the other slides are concerned, making all of them parallel AND non-skew AND lined up with each other (i.e. good AESTHETIC APPEARANCE) takes even more hours.
This.

(You can't even fathom how accurate this statement is until you try to do it yourself - I had a 3rd valve circuit where it took me easily three hours to do this, and even then, there was a small compromise made on the bottom crook {@ .004-.005} as you are in a large part at the mercy of how the knuckles were attached to the valve set.)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

With trombone main slides, "warped" is used to describe an outer slide that is not parallel. You can rest it on a flat surface and it wobbles. It's pretty rare to see tubing itself out of round or bent. The weakest part of the slide is the attachment point to the end bow.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones