Large contrabass?

The bulk of the musical talk
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Large contrabass?

Post by Steginkt »

Hello, all. I am in my fourth year studying with Marty Erickson in Wisconsin. I am staying for the next year to add some more minors and degrees, and then will largely be out teaching and - hopefully- performing. I use a Marty Erickson model as my everyday horn, and am able to navigate on it fairly well. I would say I have about the same low range as your average contrabass player, minus perhaps a few of the double pedals. High range is no issue, so pretty much any everyday playing that comes my way can be managed, be it quintet, solo, or concert band.
HOWEVER...
I would still like to purchase a contrabass horn. I currently have a CB-50 borrowed for the year,but it simply doesn't have any benefits vs what I can do on the Eb. I am hoping to buy one by late august or early september of this year. My budget is 6.5k-7k, and I have mostly been looking at the Wisemann 900 and the Wyvern.
I was hoping to hear some feedback, as this will be my first venture into purchasing a new contrabass.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Large contrabass?

Post by bort »

If you already like how Willson tubas play, consider a Willson 3050. They are usually a little higher than your budget, but you could get lucky.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

Are you looking at BBbs or just CC horns? If you're going to be teaching, you might find that a BBb is much easier on your brain when trying to play along with trumpet and horn parts than a CC. Also, it is more likely to find solid used 5/4 or 6/4 BBb tubas in that range than CCs.

Baltimore Brass has a used Holton 345 (Big 6/4 BBb) on hold for only 4.5K (which is a steal). Absolutely worth looking into in case the hold doesn't stick.
[/post]
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

I am defenitely open to BBbs as well. My only requirements are that the horn have a much bigger sound than the willson and be in my price range
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I also think that's solid advise, especially if your main objective is teaching. BBb tubas have improved a lot. What about this B&S 51 or 55 that everyone is so excited over?
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

BigMouthBrass.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

My vote: The "Wyvern" - a very fine 5/4 tuba. You would need to jump into the 12K or higher bracket to find a comparable or arguably better instrument. Very consistent in every regard from top to bottom. If you haven't tried one and are in the Minneapolis area, give a holler and you can take mine for a test drive.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

I want to thank everyone for the valuable input. I think that even though I was open to BBb instruments, I hadnt truly taken a look at any of them. I think I might spring for the 36j at Dillon Music if its still open at the end of the summer
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:I believe I also have been told (correct? incorrect?) that their manufacturing techniques are somewhat different, which is (basically) the reason that their instruments' metal thickness has been more than most others'.
Interesting -- any specifics you can share?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

That's what I was wondering too -- maybe similar to the B&S "slamming" technique?

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bort wrote:That's what I was wondering too -- maybe similar to the B&S "slamming" technique?

Seems like a great way to work out some frustration issues....

I especially like it at 3:09, where the guy assembling a valve cluster uses a bare finger to wipe away some excess solder.... :shock:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".