Professional rotary Children?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Professional rotary Children?

Post by tubapix »

1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Professional rotary Children?

Post by roweenie »

Smoothly action 4 Rotary Piston Valves , type in tune
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Well, it's an odd one for sure.
- 4 valves, but hasn't decided for sure whether Eb or F
- 8 2/3 inch bell, a little less than 1/2 inch bore.
- "Prof Children F/EB Tuba" -- Professor Children tuba? tuba for professional children?

The bell might be small enough to put this instrument half way in the cimbasso category. The bore is smaller than a bass trombone, but as an ostensibly conical design it may not matter so much.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

"free white gloves included"

This would make it Sousa approved.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

This is the travel tuba Wessex previous sold as the Bubbie manufactured by Hushen. You change the main tuning slide to lower to Eb.

These are good light travel tubas, but hardly ideal for Children as they take more work to play than a full size tuba.

The current Wessex TF135 Bubbie 5 is completely new design with larger bore and 5 valves.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

ValveSlide wrote:
Wyvern wrote:This is the travel tuba Wessex previous sold as the Bubbie manufactured by Hushen. You change the main tuning slide to lower to Eb.

These are good light travel tubas, but hardly ideal for Children as they take more work to play than a full size tuba.
Actually, the original design http://jestaedt-instrumente.de/?page_id=340 is ideal for children. Children have a much smaller lung capacity and a lower flow rate. It's only more difficult for adults who want to pick it up and move the same rates as their regular instruments.

Marketing something for unintended use then criticizing it doesn't make much sense.
Having 2 grand children who love to "play" grandpa's tubas and having owned this model and the Bubbie 5, I can say from their experience, that they have an easier time blowing my 1912 Martin than the original Bubbie. Additionally, the Bubbie 5 is easier and more fun for them because it has larger bore and the size is easy for them to handle. I think they prefer the Martin or to climb into my tuba chair and blow into my 28k. Based on this experience, I'd conclude that the Bubbie 5 or a 3/4 horn would be the better kids horn.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

ValveSlide wrote:And... The original Jestaedt is in a completely different league than these "copies."
The original Bubbie and the Jestaedt play very alike - not surprising as one is clone of the other, which Wessex incidentally had no hand in development (apart from the additional Eb slide) - but found and promoted in our earlier days, until we could develop something better.

Also if you look on the Jestaedt website you helpfully linked above - Jestaedt no longer even promote that small bore 'children' tuba themselves - but have made new large bore design for children.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

ValveSlide wrote:
opus37 wrote: And... The original Jestaedt is in a completely different league than these "copies."
Since I've never seen or played on an original Jestaedt instrument, I defer to your expertise on them. Do you think the instrument offered for sale in this ad is an original or one of the copies?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5