Questions about the new Wessex Eb Helicon coming in August

The bulk of the musical talk
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Questions about the new Wessex Eb Helicon coming in August

Post by GC »

I noticed the article about the new horn on the Wessex web site and was wondering if Jonathan could answer a couple of questions.

I notice that the angle of the last bow before the bell collar is a bit different and the helicon has a jointed straight section before the bell, while the Eb sousaphone has an upward bend before the bell collar. Is this the only difference between the horns, or is the helicon a new design?

And slightly off topic, had you ever considered making a raincacher bell for the Eb sousaphone?
Last edited by GC on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Questions about the new Wessex Eb Helicon coming in Augu

Post by Wyvern »

GC wrote: I notice that the angle of the last bow before the bell collar is a bit different and the helicon has a jointed straight section before the bell, while the Eb sousaphone has an upward bend before the bell collar. Is this the only difference between the horns, or is the helicon a new design?

And slightly off topic, had you ever considered making a raincacher bell for the Eb sousaphone?
The sousaphone and helicon mostly share parts, although extra tubing was required in body against sousaphone for tuning purposes. Having said that, I was amazed how different they play. The helicon plays nearer to our Champion Eb tuba (with which it shares bell) than to the Eb sousaphone. I am personally a real convert to helicons - will never want to do a standing gig with anything but a helicon in the future. As well as playing better, they are also so much better balanced. Completely effortless to carry. I did 6 mile marching gig with prototype Eb helicon one day last year!

A raincatcher BBb is more likely than Eb, I think - although no decision is yet made if to make either. We will need to look at the parts required. Sales of raincatcher are unlikely to justify making a new mandrel, but if we can add to range using existing parts, then I would like to make available.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Thanks, Jonathan.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Off topic slightly, but I thought this would be a good place to catch Jonathan for a Sousa Q of my own:

I saw someone on here a while back had a "switchable" Wessex BBb/CC Sousa. Is/was that a real production horn? Any chance of that coming back? Thanks!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

BrooklynBass wrote: I saw someone on here a while back had a "switchable" Wessex BBb/CC Sousa. Is/was that a real production horn? Any chance of that coming back? Thanks!
That was actually a one-off. Could be made again, but not the most successful experiment.

I do also have an experimental small bore CC sousaphone that I will put online to sell shortly...although that is also not good enough to go into production.

I do want Wessex to make a large bore CC helicon/sousaphone (I know there is a demand in Spain, as well as USA) - but the problem is "how to" as the tapers need to be different from the BBb or Eb and we have no existing successful CC helicon/sousaphone to reference.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Wyvern wrote: I do want Wessex to make a large bore CC helicon/sousaphone (I know there is a demand in Spain, as well as USA) - but the problem is "how to" as the tapers need to be different from the BBb or Eb and we have no existing successful CC helicon/sousaphone to reference.
Bloke's turned out pretty well:

...as did mine (both based on Buescher BBb):

Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Wyvern wrote: That was actually a one-off. Could be made again, but not the most successful experiment.

I do also have an experimental small bore CC sousaphone that I will put online to sell shortly...although that is also not good enough to go into production.

I do want Wessex to make a large bore CC helicon/sousaphone (I know there is a demand in Spain, as well as USA) - but the problem is "how to" as the tapers need to be different from the BBb or Eb and we have no existing successful CC helicon/sousaphone to reference.
You've piqued my interest! I'm definitely interested in learning more about all of the above.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

There were references to a Miraphone CC helicon on ToobNet back about a decade ago.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

A large CC 5-valve helicon!

Get it done.

If you build it, we will buy it.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Dylan King wrote:A large CC 5-valve helicon!

Get it done.

Why do you think 5-valves needed?

This will not happen quickly, but CC helicon in 2018 is likely...
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Get it done.

A 5th just makes it heavier, and I'd wager most helicons would be used on strolling/standing gigs. so the extra weight wouldn't be welcome.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Wyvern wrote:

Get it done.

I second this.

This will not happen quickly, but CC helicon in 2018 is likely...
Can I give you my deposit now??? (Also, I messaged you)
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------