FS/FT: Cerveny CC "Piggy" + other goodies = $3000 SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

FS/FT: Cerveny CC "Piggy" + other goodies = $3000 SOLD

Post by RoosterTuba »

Hello TubeNet.

It is very bittersweet for me now, but I recently purchased a dream of a horn for a deal that I could not pass up. Because I'll be an incoming grad student, I need to free up some funds, and this piggy is on the top of the list.

For sale I have a wonderful Cerveny "Piggy", 4 valves, in the key of CC. It looks like it was made in the 70's. This horn is really something special, as I believe this is the piggy that both John Stevens and John Cradler played on in the past. In fact, if I'm correct it's the horn that Cradler used to win the "President's Own" audition. I have owned this horn and done work on it for the past 9 months. Let me say, that this is one HECK of a "3/4" tuba.

Playing
Don't let the size fool you, it plays quite loud when it needs to. The high range really sings, and the low range is incredibly free blowing. Even though it has 4 valves, I've found that pulling the 4th slide can actually take care of any pedal D or Db that comes my way. The only alternate notes I found myself fixing were the E natural in the staff (1+2), the Eb in the staff (2+3), A natural in the staff (first slide pull), and the F natural below the staff (first slide pull). I've used this on MULTIPLE gigs in the past few months, and it works like a charm in a band setting, quintet setting, and even in a symphony setting. Keep in mind though, we weren't playing Mahler or Tchaikovsky, you may have to push to use this in a massive symphony setting. However...in the right hands, any 3/4 tuba can sound like a 5/4 tuba I've been told. It's a GREAT all-around horn, and I got into grad school on it WITH an assistantship offer from multiple schools.

Work done on horn/Tweaking
This piggy really went to market. Here are the following mods that were done to it (completed by first owners a while back):
-First valve has been vented
-First valve slide has an added "hook" for easy reach
-The leadpipe has been moved UP for easier playing (if you're tall and played a piggy before, you'll understand)
(here starts the work I've done on the horn)
-Rotors re-aligned
-Dents on bell rolled out
-There was a HUGE dent on the bottom part of the tuba. Everyone said it couldn't be fixed. Mark Metzler got it popped back into place with a magnet in about 10 minutes. There were multiple dents he fixed on the horn.
-The leadpipe originally had a leak in it...perhaps some evidence of rot, but nothing to worry about now. Metzler took the pipe completely off, and repatched/resoldered the whole thing. It plays so much better now.
-The rotors have new bumpers to play quieter (not silent, but definitely better)
-Some loose bracing got re-soldered
-I cleaned it :mrgreen:

What's included:
-1x Cerveny piggy tuba
-1x All leather Walter Chronkite gig bag
-1x EXTRA Cerveny leadpipe (I recommend using this as a replacement in the future, could be done anytime)
-1x PT-50 mouthpiece
-1x Schilke Helleberg mouthpiece

I am located in northern Indiana, and would prefer local pickup only. I am willing to drive for potential buyers! I would prefer cities like Indianapolis, Chicago, and Michigan, Dayton, and surrounding cities.

With the current market for these tubas, plus the repairs/mods and items included, I'm putting this package up for $3000.

The only trades I will consider are for F tubas.

My email is stefan DOT roose AT gmail DOT com

Pictures to be added soon.
Last edited by RoosterTuba on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: Cerveny CCB 603 "Piggy" + other goodies

Post by arpthark »

This is a really great Piggy. I owned it briefly before Stefan when I cycled through a potpourri of CC tubas last summer. If I hadn't moved to a 3+1 Eb for all of my playing, I would buy back the Piggy in a second. Stefan was a great guy to do business with.
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: FS/FT: Cerveny CCB 603 "Piggy" + other goodies

Post by RoosterTuba »

Here are the photos of the Piggy!

https://goo.gl/photos/Drc1wojwuj8vSEEm7" target="_blank
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Semi-related note: that Cronkhite bag looks like it has been through a LOT of years of heavy use... and that it would last at least that long again. Glenn deserved to retire, without a doubt... but his bags sure are missed.

Bump!
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

bort wrote:Semi-related note: that Cronkhite bag looks like it has been through a LOT of years of heavy use... and that it would last at least that long again. Glenn deserved to retire, without a doubt... but his bags sure are missed.

Bump!
That bag is gonna be missed for sure. Luckily the horn I just bought has a gig bag made by him too. LOVE how comfortable it is to wear.
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: FS/FT: Cerveny CC "Piggy" + other goodies = $3000

Post by RoosterTuba »

BUMP
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

That's very clever to attach a hook on the first valve like that. No real comfortable way to grab the first slide otherwise on these horns. Also I think the adjustment to the leadpipe is a good one if you are even average height.
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

Bump! Willing to let people test if they can make a drive to Northern Indiana :)
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

Lots of bites but no commitment! Bump for Tuesday!
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
fwtuba
lurker
lurker

Post by fwtuba »

You mentioned you just obtained a new horn, what did you buy?
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

fwtuba wrote:You mentioned you just obtained a new horn, what did you buy?
I bought a Wisemann 900!

If I could, I would keep the Cerveny, but I already have an F...and financially I cannot afford to really have 3 tubas right now in life. I hope to get one again sometime later in life, but right now I have bills to pay, and a honeymoon coming up!
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"