Conn "New Invention BBb Bass"

The bulk of the musical talk
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Conn "New Invention BBb Bass"

Post by jbaylies »

I recently bought a top-action Monster. It's currently getting its valves replated, leadpipe rolled out, and bottom bow braces cleaned up. I'll report back with photos when it's ready! I'm hoping the work will be done in a couple more weeks. Here's a photo from when Frank owned it: http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff29 ... p5td8z.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank I think it'll be a great compliment to my Conn 40k. If it's as good as I'm hoping it'll be, I'll probably sell my 5-valve Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC.
Last edited by jbaylies on Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

tuben wrote: Jonathan (Wessex): In the realm of incredible tubas that no longer exist but really should, this is one to consider.
I will keep a look out for one to borrow
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Got to love old Conn's. Those old designers and craftsmen really knew what they were doing. I've never seen this model in person but I've played various other ones and they never disappoint. I'll take one in "finish 1" with the triple silver plated sand blasted finish with 4 top action valves and a 21" bell for $157.50.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

The top action "Monster" healthy-4/4 size BBb Conns with large bell flare has some serious style.
For a replica, just get the tuning slide out of the leadpipe and have a manipulative 1st valve slide much like 3rd on a King 2280. Set the leadpipe at a bit of an angle and don't put the valves too high, and top action is ergonomically fine.

Another cool-looking Conn model that could make a nice basis for replicas is the "Professional" medium Eb in front action. It's pretty similar to the 4J or 5J in outer body size and bell shape depending on year, but Eb guts. It would be sized under the typical compensator size in bore/early branch and bell throat, but just about like it in outer branch size.
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

I got the top-action monster back a couple days ago. It plays well aside from the F below the staff and a few notes around it feeling a bit stuffy. Also, I initially noticed a buzz arising when I played Eb or E in the staff, and later realized it was coming from the third valve's tubing being a paper's width apart at one point. Putting one piece of paper in there got rid of the buzz completely, so I'm going to have that soldered. If anyone has some insight into the stuffiness, let me know... The whole tuba is quite flat, too, so I think I'm going to have a centimeter cut off the tuning slide. I'll post a recording once the work is done.

Here are some pictures of the horn: http://imgur.com/a/5DgFL" target="_blank

edit: I've been realizing that the tuning improves a lot once the horn is warmed up. Possibly moreso than any other tuba I've played. I did some searching and found a post by Bloke that adds credence to this. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42394" target="_blank
Last edited by jbaylies on Fri May 12, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

Stupid question maybe... Is the Low F fuzzy both 4 or 1+3???
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

jbaylies wrote:It plays well aside from the F below the staff and a few notes around it feeling a bit stuffy. Also, I initially noticed a buzz arising when I played Eb or E in the staff, and later realized it was coming from the third valve's tubing being a paper's width apart at one point. Putting one piece of paper in there got rid of the buzz completely, so I'm going to have that soldered. If anyone has some insight into the stuffiness,
Such leaks can be a source of stuffiness. When your tech goes to solder that spot, it might be good to go looking for some others.
jbaylies wrote: edit: I've been realizing that the tuning improves a lot once the horn is warmed up. Possibly moreso than any other tuba I've played. I did some searching and found a post by Bloke that adds credence to this. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42394
The Conn Orchestra Grand Bass in the avatar of "lost" on this board is like that. I owned it for a while around 2010/11. You play it 20 minutes or so and suddenly there is a moment when everything lines up noticeably better and you aren't fighting for intonation. I sold it to a student of "the elephant." When that student went to sell it, his teacher posted it here on his behalf, and said the same thing in the FS post, which I found satisfying, since he is obviously a far better player than me, and that showed it was not just that I finally figured it out after 20 minutes.

So this definitely happens.

(I would love to come across a tuba like in the original post...)
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

bigboymusic wrote:Stupid question maybe... Is the Low F fuzzy both 4 or 1+3???
It's just as fuzzy with alternate fingerings.
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

edit: I've been practicing for a couple months and the fuzzyness has mostly cleared up. Check out this recording from last Independence Day and you tell me if it sounds fuzzy ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_VlAAeqwE&t=34m47s" target="_blank ( @ 34 minutes and 47 seconds )
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

What a terrific sounding tuba!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces