Gig Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
RSorenson
bugler
bugler

Gig Bags

Post by RSorenson »

Hello all,

I am looking for a new gig bag to replace my current one. I have been looking around but it is hard to get a good idea about padding, functionality, durability, and comfort. I'm looking for a NON top loading case for less then $400. Any recommendations with a description would be great.

Thanks!
Ryan Sorenson
Stetson University
Professor of Tuba

MM from Northwestern University
BM from University of South Florida
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Gig Bags

Post by thevillagetuba »

With Cronkhite bags no longer available, there are not many non-top-loading, quality gig bags. I have never liked Protec bags, personally, as I don't feel they offer that much protection and I have never seen them good of a fit. A custom bag will probably cost more than you're looking to spend, and I think that getting a Götz bag ordered a side-loader will also push your budget.

My honest recommendation would be to get a Wessex gig bag. I've had three of them, two left with horns I sold, and they are honestly great bags. They offer a lot of protection for your horn, have fit each of my horns quite well, and have been pretty comfortable to carry (I've had to carry my PT6P about a quarter mile in one of these and it was quite manageable). These bags are great and quite a bit below your budget.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I was told that shipping on a Wessex would be $200.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

MaryAnn wrote:I was told that shipping on a Wessex would be $200.
I think someone quoted you the cost to have it shipped from the UK. Mine were shipped from the Michigan warehouse and I think I only paid $35, which got it to me in 2-3 days via FedEx.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

MaryAnn wrote:I was told that shipping on a Wessex would be $200.

I think(?) $200 shipping is for buying a horn with hard case...bags in the U.S. are $35.
RSorenson
bugler
bugler

Post by RSorenson »

Thanks for the suggestion! Has anyone tried the Ortola bags?
Ryan Sorenson
Stetson University
Professor of Tuba

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

RSorenson wrote:Hello all,

I am looking for a new gig bag to replace my current one. I have been looking around but it is hard to get a good idea about padding, functionality, durability, and comfort. I'm looking for a NON top loading case for less then $400. Any recommendations with a description would be great.

Thanks!
Best bet -- try to find a gently used Cronkhite bag. What kind of tuba do you have?
RSorenson
bugler
bugler

Post by RSorenson »

I have a B&S MRP
Ryan Sorenson
Stetson University
Professor of Tuba

scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

thevillagetuba wrote:With Cronkhite bags no longer available, there are not many non-top-loading, quality gig bags. I have never liked Protec bags, personally, as I don't feel they offer that much protection and I have never seen them good of a fit. A custom bag will probably cost more than you're looking to spend, and I think that getting a Götz bag ordered a side-loader will also push your budget.

My honest recommendation would be to get a Wessex gig bag. I've had three of them, two left with horns I sold, and they are honestly great bags. They offer a lot of protection for your horn, have fit each of my horns quite well, and have been pretty comfortable to carry (I've had to carry my PT6P about a quarter mile in one of these and it was quite manageable). These bags are great and quite a bit below your budget.
+1! :D
BTW, shipping is @ $35. and it is from Michigan.
Bearin' up!
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

thevillagetuba wrote:With Cronkhite bags no longer available, there are not many non-top-loading, quality gig bags. I have never liked Protec bags, personally, as I don't feel they offer that much protection and I have never seen them good of a fit. A custom bag will probably cost more than you're looking to spend, and I think that getting a Götz bag ordered a side-loader will also push your budget.

You will really want to try a Wessex bag before you buy one. My experience is different than the above poster's.

I own and have owned several different manufacturers bags. My Cronkhite bags not only are constructed well - they also function well. I would call them the gold standard for bags - it's a shame they are no longer being made at this time. I do own a Wessex bag. It is well constructed for the price and offers better protection than say an Alteri. Function wise - it SUCKS! It is a very poor design for loading a horn. The straps are poorly thought out and the carry position (in the backpack way) isn't very good. Some folks have had the straps break (I believe the straps have been improved on the newer bags). It has a carrying handle, but this is not particularly robust. Fortunately the horn I bought it for is one I don't use a lot - but even at that I wish I had paid the couple hundred more for another Cronhkite at the time. For the money the Wessex is a lot of bag, but in the long run a bag that costs a little more may be the better value IMHO. This place (Messina Covers) does a nice job and you get a custom fit. Depending on the options you pick you can do it for the upper end of your price range http://www.messinacovers.net/low-brass
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

I was one of those whose strap broke. I had an early model bag and they explained that their attachments were now double stitched and otherwise reinforced. Furthermore, they paid to have the resulting dent removed from my horn and sent me a new bag, all with a minimum of fuss and quite quickly. You can't ask for better than that. As to fit, they suggest which bag will fit a specific horn and 3 times the bag has been spot on, easily accessed. I personally do not like the zippers used to enclose the back straps if you don't want to use them; I ALWAYS use the back straps and the zippers are just another place to get my hands entangled. This, though, is a minor inconvenience and I am used to it now. These are great value and afford good protection, as far as most soft cases.
Bearin' up!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

thevillagetuba wrote:I think that getting a Götz bag ordered a side-loader will also push your budget.
My top-loading Gotz bag, including shipping, was about $450. Not sure what the price difference is for a side-loading Gotz though. My opinion -- this is just about the best gig bag out there!
Eupher6
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Eupher6 »

Glenn Cronkhite really set the bar high. I bought one for my Kanstul and I trust it more than the hard case I have for it. Great gig bag. Sorry to hear he's retired, though I'm sure it's well-deserved.
U.S. Army, Retired
Adams E2 Euph (on the way)
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph, built 1941
Bach Strad 42O tenor trombone
Edwards B454 bass trombone
Kanstul 33T tuba in BBb