E flat tuba or e flat cimbasso??

The bulk of the musical talk
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Re: E flat tuba or e flat cimbasso??

Post by ufonium2 »

TubaofGilman wrote:Hello gentleman still trying to decide.

Why are you only asking men?
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaofGilman »

I am so very sorry. I did not mean to offend. Ladies and gentleman may respond.
Mack Brass 410 CC and St. Petersburg 3v Eb
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

I chose to learn tuba on a CC precisely because I could use my trumpet fingerings when reading the concert-pitch bass clef. With a CC you will find a wider variety of instruments to choose from generally, but as has been mentioned earlier, at a generally higher price than a BBb (if for no other reason, you will typically want 5 valves for a CC).

The CC will be a bit more responsive than a comparable BBb, but for about 90% of band music the fingerings will lie better on the BBb (to this day a struggle with the alternating 2-3 to 2-4 combinations like those you might find in the Sousa marches).

That said, in one of my community bands I play french horn, and our sole tuba player uses a compensating Eb (19" bell), and I think the sound is ideal for the ensemble of about 40 musicians - great range and definition; just maybe not quite the same depth that a big contrabass could provide.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaofGilman »

Trumpets and percussion very loud.
Are numbers are:
9 flutes, 1 oboe, 7 clarients, 1 bassoon, 6 bass clarients, 6 saxes, 6 trumpets, 5 percussion, 3 French horns, 2 trombones, 1 tympani, 1 mallet, 1 euphonium and 1 tuba.
Not sure of the name of the Eb tuba and it's a 3 valve.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

58mark wrote:
TubaofGilman wrote:.

It's like going to war with a water pistol

Get a BBb.
I laughed. But this is a perfect anology.

+1 for BBb, also being that the fingerings are VERY similar to what you already know.
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

This board member has TWO horns for sale that would really be great in a community band setting. The Olds/Reynolds will allow you to put a floor down on just about anything, and if that isn't enough, he has a 20j for $750.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77537
Tubas
Mark

Post by Mark »

TubaofGilman wrote:9 flutes, 1 oboe, 7 clarients, 1 bassoon, 6 bass clarients, 6 saxes, 6 trumpets, 5 percussion, 3 French horns, 2 trombones, 1 tympani, 1 mallet, 1 euphonium and 1 tuba.
Are the 6 saxophones all bari saxes? This would compliment the 6 bass clarinets.

BTW, I agree that a BBb tuba would be the way to go.
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaofGilman »

1 barisax, 2 tenor and 3 altos
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

The baritone saxophone in many band arrangements will have the same notes as you have, as its downwards range is very much the same as the one of your present tuba.

If I had any influence on the the distribution of the bass clarinets in your band, I would let one play the bass clarinet part, two play the baritone/euphonium part, one play the bass trombone part, and two play the tuba part. Might take some rewriting of parts.

Your band still would benefit from you playing a contrabass tuba. A BBb would be the cheapest, but if you are more comfortable with playing a CC, then that also would be of benefit for your band.

Klaus
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

bloke wrote:just an opinion...
4 of those bass clarinets, and 2 of those whatever-saxes should move to 2nd/3rd clarinet.
What does any Tuba player REALLY know about balance? :tuba: :tuba:
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

You never have enough bass clarinet. Six is kind of minimal.
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

A 4 valve Eb with a 19 inch bell would work. I regularly play in a 40 piece band as the only tuba.
A BBb tuba would be slightly less work on your own a second player playing a BBb would be perfect.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Get a 4 valve BBb tuba - it'll give you the most 'bang for your buck'. That's a lot of trumpets and percussion you're having to put a bottom on. Use a decent size mouthpiece, like a Bach 18 or something.

6 bass clarinets? . . . that's unusual. If that's correct, then the Eb tuba range is pretty well covered.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

TubaofGilman wrote: I have been eyeing the Wessex Danube for an Eb.
I would suggest that a 4-valve compensated Eb such as the Wessex Solo or Champion - or 5-valve Gnagey would be more suitable for your purpose. The Danube is designed to have the tone of a large F tuba, so is not really suitable as the only tuba in concert band. What you want is breath of tone to support the band. An Eb tuba of the correct sort can provide that breath. I frequently am the only tuba in concert bands of 40 or 50 and have no trouble providing satisfactory bass on one of the above tubas.

As well as suitable tuba you also need a deep mouthpiece (I use a Chief which most people would consider too large for Eb - but it gives me the sound I want in concert band) to provide the appropriate sound and correct tonal approach. Don't overblow and rasp, but think big and broad using slow air. The tuba needs to be felt as much as heard.

BTW I took a cimbasso to band rehearsal one week and the conductor absolutely hated it on the bass part. I had to go and get a tuba out of car at first opportunity :oops:
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaofGilman »

Thank you for your insight on the Wessex Eb tubas. I think that's the direct I will go. A 5-valve Gnagey for any solo or small group play and the Wessex four valve 5/4 Tuba ‘Wisconsin’ – TB550 for our main community band play. What's your thoughts?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

TubaofGilman wrote:Thank you for your insight on the Wessex Eb tubas. I think that's the direct I will go. A 5-valve Gnagey for any solo or small group play and the Wessex four valve 5/4 Tuba ‘Wisconsin’ – TB550 for our main community band play. What's your thoughts?
Those will work well...
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

TubaofGilman wrote:Trumpets and percussion very loud.
Are numbers are:
9 flutes, 1 oboe, 7 clarients, 1 bassoon, 6 bass clarients, 6 saxes, 6 trumpets, 5 percussion, 3 French horns, 2 trombones, 1 tympani, 1 mallet, 1 euphonium and 1 tuba.
6 bass clarinets???!?
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I think that many don't understand how ... amateur? ... some community bands are. They get together whoever is available and try to make music together. It's a whole different ball game than a big city with several top notch bands. So you see weird things like 6 bass clarinets and 6 saxes, because that's what's available, and they make music and make do. So....my advice to the OP would be the usual: see if there is a way to try your choices IN the band, and how do they work? Do you have the air for a BBb, after all these years on Eb? It is quite different....and I agree with Klaus that a CC would work as well. What matters is which can you get what you want out of, the easiest.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Six bass clarinets - sounds great to me! Maybe we can sign out on this little thread resurrection with some music, Ray Pizzi JAMB bass clarinet quartet on Four Brothers.