Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

Lectron wrote:I tried the Excelsior and it was not a good tuba.
In your opinion :) Other players, including some in Championship bands like it. Different people have different likes. No tuba we make is going to appeal to everyone.
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Wyvern wrote: Different people have different likes. No tuba we make is going to appeal to everyone.
True :)
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

What about a good small rotary F tuba?

I've played most common F tubas currently in production, and none come close to beating my old MW45k. Most are just too big and don't sound like F tubas. Most would disagree, but I think even the PT 10 is too big.

I'm thinking of a horn the size of an old Miraphone 180, maybe a little bigger like an Alex 155. Use the lightest/thinnest construction possible, with a small bell. Something with fast valves and good intonation/response. Essentially a dedicated solo rotary F tuba.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Sounds kind of like the Cerveny 653...?
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

bort wrote:Sounds kind of like the Cerveny 653...?
Possibly, although I've never played one. I'm thinking of a horn with a taller bell stack though. I think that tall "free float" bell contributes to the sound of German style tubas.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

How about a Mahler-plus? So the Wessex Mahler, only a little larger, ala 188. Or a BBb Mahler or Mahler-plus. Or both. It's a great platform, more should be done with it.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

In BBb piston, whether you do a 4/4, 5/4, or that 6/4 that everyone talks about, can someone engineer a way to fully empty all valve slides at once, as on some rotary horns? The water-spin can be a real task for a big horn in a tight place, and is pretty distracting to your audience. Finally, there must be a way to incorporate a modified Amati spit valve. Maybe it's not an issue for everyone, but I seem to catch the spring-loaded levers on my horns on chairs, clothes, and what-not too often. Thank you.
InTuneBb
bugler
bugler

Post by InTuneBb »

I am not sure if it has been said, apologies if so, but now that I am starting to look at the realm of travel tubas, it would be SO helpful if there was a 5 valve CC travel tuba (Or a CC version of the Bubbie 5) to work on rep like Prokofiev 5, Romeo and Juliet, Mahler 2, without having to use an alternate fingering/a fingering we wouldn't use on our actual big tubas for low F and below.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

MN_TimTuba wrote:In BBb piston, whether you do a 4/4, 5/4, or that 6/4 that everyone talks about, can someone engineer a way to fully empty all valve slides at once, as on some rotary horns? The water-spin can be a real task for a big horn in a tight place, and is pretty distracting to your audience. Finally, there must be a way to incorporate a modified Amati spit valve. Maybe it's not an issue for everyone, but I seem to catch the spring-loaded levers on my horns on chairs, clothes, and what-not too often. Thank you.
I didn't realize what a big plus that was until I owned a rotary!!
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Wyvern wrote:
Lectron wrote:I tried the Excelsior and it was not a good tuba.
In your opinion :) Other players, including some in Championship bands like it.
Played Champion section up in NW regionals in winter gardens
Didn't see much to it there ;)
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

I'm still holding out for a 6/4 345 style CC. Wouldnt say no to a contrabass trombone. Many are too expensive for schools to justify purchasing
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

In BBb? Or just the one in F?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Steginkt wrote:In BBb? Or just the one in F?
Both! Only the F is on website at present, but the BBb will be back up again (by popular request) in the next month.
Steginkt wrote:I'm still holding out for a 6/4 345 style CC
We have something even better than that on its way shortly :)
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

Wyvern wrote:
Steginkt wrote:In BBb? Or just the one in F?
Both! Only the F is on website at present, but the BBb will be back up again (by popular request) in the next month.
Steginkt wrote:I'm still holding out for a 6/4 345 style CC
We have something even better than that on its way shortly :)
You always makig dreams true haha!!
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Perhaps this is an odd one.... but any thoughts of producing anything like the Sarrusophone? Bass/contrabass?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Heliconer wrote:Perhaps this is an odd one.... but any thoughts of producing anything like the Sarrusophone? Bass/contrabass?
Have considered and as quickly abandoned. Don't want Wessex to get into developing reed instruments. Better to stick with 'brass' which we understand :roll:

I can say a new model bass trombone developed with Chris Stearn of Scottish Opera is on its way. Mark 2 prototype has just been approved...and it is a good-in.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

With a 4P1R set up or 983 style compensating setup?
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

That's what I ran into. Valve blocks turned like those are uncomfortable, I'd prefer the more straight up and down (Eastman/King like).
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

58mark wrote:
I like the way the gnagey plays, but hate the ergonomics. The valve block is at a very uncomfortable position for me.
That was commented on prior production, but for some reason just not a priorety.
Straight or slanted (the other way :) ) would work much better.....like your small conn.
......that's not really that small. Compact, yes
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The problem is it is very difficult to change the angle of the valve block. It means a complete re-design which in turn might cause some other adverse effect