Besson franken F

The bulk of the musical talk
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Besson franken F

Post by imperialbari »

Edit:This link and and the statements I originally associated with it are based on a not sufficiently careful look at the auctioned instrument. I looked at the body shape, which fitted my ideas well enough, but not at the wide and flat pancake style bell flare that gives away this instrument as made in India. I am sorry about my mistake. I will let the text stay, as it refers to a small British made Eb tuba model that I like very much.

Or this one, which is a good beginner’s tuba in its own right - with only one obvious error (the 3rd slide was dimensioned to fit in the case, not to lower the instrument a minor third, so the 3rd slide has to be pulled alone for that purpose):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-3-Valve- ... 2470990622

Klaus, who is not endorsing any specific auction or any specific seller, only this tuba model
Last edited by imperialbari on Mon May 15, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I have experienced two of these, one that was old already in 1974, and another that was fairly new in 1998. Both were as in tune, as could be expected from non-compensating instruments with only 3 valves. Maybe the old one was a bit sharp. I seem to remember something about securing the main tuning slide with a string. Not a High Pitch instrument, as that pitch never was used or imported here.

Edit: This paragraph is wrong, as I hadn’t looked well enough at the bell shape:

It never occurred to me that the one I linked to above here would have been made in India. The Besson tubas I have seen from that country had radically different designs with much wider and flatter bell flares.

Klaus
Last edited by imperialbari on Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I have seen an instrument similar to what you describe. It was a small Besson Eb that was converted to a front action tuba with a Getzen G-50 valve set. I was for sale at Baltimore Brass (and sat a long time) years ago, perhaps 15 (???) years ago? However, I think it was actually a CC, not an F. I actually always thought it would have made a better F tuba basis than a CC tuba, but I never played on the tuba in question, so I don't really know.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

The small BBb has a bell diameter of 330mm. The bore is 0.689".

The small Eb has a bell diameter of 310mm. The bore is 0.650".
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Sorry about the little Eb I linked to above here. Took a look at it again. The bell is the wider and flatter one that I have seen on the In dian made Bessons.

I will edit that posting. Hopefully nobody have made buying decisions on basis of that link of mine.

The dimension I gave were from a 1985 Besson catalogue.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

IMG_1222.JPG
Here the little Besson 777 Eb tuba with the 0.650" bore and 310mm wide bell. From a 1985 Besson catalogue.

This same concept has come in two main styles under models names like Westminster, Regent, Oxford, and likely more names. The best style has the main tuning slide in the body. The lesser style has the tuning slide in the leadpipe. I only have had personal experiences with the better style.

Klaus