Short lead pipes and playing with a bit

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Short lead pipes and playing with a bit

Post by Dan Schultz »

There is plenty of main tuning slide on the 2XJ tubas and they tend to play pretty well in-tune with or without the bit.

That leads me to believe that using a bit coincides with my personal experience that it was furnished for ergonomic reasons.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have a friend who plays a Conn 12J that will not be in tune unless he uses a tuning bit. If he doesn't use a bit the tuning slide is not long enough to get down to 440.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Shave and a haircut...

Sorry, that's two bits. :)
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I think the tuba police are going to come after you! But I think they are for both ergonomic and tuning. From my understanding, Conn's had short leadpipes specifically for you to put the bit in and bring it to pitch while being able to adjust it to the most comfortable playing position for you. My Conn plays in tune without it though so I don't use one usually. The main reason is because my front action valves are a stretch to reach with the extra length from the bit. It's uncomfortable. I would use one all day long on a top action 2XJ though!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

I play my Conn 25J fairly regularly. I experience the normal intonation tendencies either with or without the bit. From my experience, after consistently practicing the Conn 2XJ tubas the past few years, the "flat" F isn't really an issue. Also, the Eb, E, and F in the staff can be high, so I use 1&3, 2&3, and 1&2. The Conn 2XJ tubas definitely take some work to play, however they are definitely worth the effort if you're are looking for "that" type of sound.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces