Wessex CC "Mahler" vs. Mack Brass 410

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Wessex CC "Mahler" vs. Mack Brass 410

Post by eupho »

Opinions on these two great tubas as do it all horns? Particularly in quintet. Does the slightly smaller bell make a difference?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex CC "Mahler"

Post by Wyvern »

Obviously I think the 16 3/4" bell on the Wessex Mahler is an improvement, but others may think different, as we all have different tonal concepts...

To give some background on the smaller bell. The Wessex Mahler is basically a clone of a Miraphone 186 and the earlier ones of those are reputed to play better. I therefore thought it was worth trying smaller bell on the Mahler which also moves it away from being clone of current Miraphone with which I feel uneasy. The result has exceeded my expectations. I love the more focused tone with the smaller bell and it feels, at least to me, like has even improved the response. However, you need to try and judge for yourself.
Last edited by Wyvern on Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex CC "Mahler"

Post by Wyvern »

The post was asking for comparison between Wessex Mahler and Mack Brass 410
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wessex CC "Mahler" vs. Mack Brass 410

Post by Three Valves »

So it's the bell AND the Z valves??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

I should have posted a new topic. And it should include the Schiller CC, the Dillon 410, the TE 410 and the O'Malley 410.
My first question was in regard to the different size bells between the 410 models and the "Mahler".

Second question is, do people like or dislike these tall horns in quintet? That is if you prefer CC in quintet.

Virsatile enough to be "do it all" horns?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I cannot compare the two/several, but my Mack 410CC (gold brass bell) can definitely serve all purposes that I need it for. It is excellent as an ensemble horn, to include quintet. A bit more horn than I want for most solo work, but that's more of a CC problem than a 410 problem.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

To me the 186 model and the 410 models are perfect quintet tubas. I have never liked the f tuba in quintet as they are just too small. If you look at most high level pro quintets they use a 4/4 cc. The Miraphone 186 and the horns modeled after them are some of the most popular do it all tubas ever made.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707