vented valves

The bulk of the musical talk
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Re: vented valves

Post by Billy M. »

Tweak > twerk.

I digress. If I should go back to an all rotor instrument (I'm finding that I'm more inclined day by day but haven't found the right horn to trade for yet) I will definitely get all the valves vented.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Last edited by bisontuba on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

I find that venting - porting - affects feel more on piston valves; rotors not as much, but there is a "bump" sometimes after turning a rotor that's been at rest for some time. On rotary CC horns, at the very least, I like 1 vented, because I cant stand the pressurized "pop" when pulling a slide (I usually manage to move the slide before or after the slide circuit is active). I asked for 1st and 4th vented on a rotary horn I sent to bloke once, and got it back with all valves vented. I didn't complain because the vent holes were executed very well and it played better; whether that was due to venting or not, well, I'll let the tnfj decide :) . I enjoyed that horn immensely after bloke did stuff to it. I still miss it, but life happens.

Anyone here own that Meinl Weston 37 with all valves vented?
Last edited by k001k47 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

My old Miraphone 188 had vented valves -- that tuba was REALLY easy to play and slur. Not sure how much the vented valves contributed to that, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Out of all the stuff I've owned and sold, I probably miss that horn the most, but it was just the wrong tool, and I have an unfortunately small toolbox. :(
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bort wrote:My old Miraphone 188 had vented valves -- that tuba was REALLY easy to play and slur. Not sure how much the vented valves contributed to that, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Out of all the stuff I've owned and sold, I probably miss that horn the most, but it was just the wrong tool, and I have an unfortunately small toolbox. :(
I remember really wanting that horn when you sold it, and as with many horns I want, I couldn't get the money together in time.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Well, it's in your state (yeah, I know, it's huge...). Maybe you will run across it sometime? :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Rotax, Joe. You need Rotax. :P

(Not serious, just being an asss!)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:...or I could superglue some fishin' weights into the each of the two ports of my existing rotors...
might be right! :P
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bloke wrote:Perhaps (??) I'm a "weak" player (??), but the little "pop-pop-pop-pop" air changes slightly (...well...) "screw" with me when I'm trying to move smoothly from one pitch to the next. All of my other instruments are vented...
Same with me, but it's more noticeable with low tolerance pistons, not to say it doesn't happen on rotors. Bob Rusk mentioned I had to replate before thinking about venting his prototype F tuba when I talked to him about it at ITEC Indiana, but I had it done anyway, because playing it in tune in an ensemble required a fair bit of trombone playing. Even with the rather high tolerance, the effects of venting were positive. I enjoyed and miss that horn a lot too. Shame Getzen never had a production run of them.
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:Perhaps (??) I'm a "weak" player (??), but the little "pop-pop-pop-pop" air changes slightly (...well...) "screw" with me when I'm trying to move smoothly from one pitch to the next. All of my other instruments are vented...
Me too. Vent your valves!
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

Got 'em. Love 'em. Don't know how I ever lived without 'em. No, really, articulating and slurring on vented valves is so much easier for me - I highly recommend it.
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

Question: Is there any difference in venting (piston) valves for a compensating horn? I'm thinking there isn't, but want to check in case there's something I'm not seeing about it.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Question: how much would it cost to get valves vented? Say, 5 rotary valves...?
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Francis »

Dillon's website says $50/rotor or $150 for 4.
I'm pretty sure Eric Peterson would give you a quick quote and you won't have to leave Minneapolis.
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

Pardon me for bringing this thread back up, but I've found myself wondering - was the idea of vented valves created by a particular person, or company (and whom was that)? And when were vented valves first used?

Thanks -
Dave
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I first vented a piston in 1961 just to prove that it would work, but did not learn that there was a name for the process until about 10 years later. Maybe other people had the same idea earlier.
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

Art Hovey wrote:I first vented a piston in 1961 just to prove that it would work, but did not learn that there was a name for the process until about 10 years later. Maybe other people had the same idea earlier.
Okay Art, so this idea is at least as old as me (I was born in 1961). Finding out if this goes back even farther would be interesting.

Thanks -
Dave
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Love that pft! Sound from a vented rotor........ :tuba:
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Are there any widely used designs for "internally vented" valves on tuba? A bunch of trombone valves have that type of setup.

I guess this is a dumb question, but why don't more makers vent their valves from the factory, considering how much slide pulling goes on? or would that mean admitting that there are intonation problems with their horns, which is a bad even though it's inherent to all non compensating horns.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

so I just joined the Miraphone club with the purchase of a Norwegian Star Eb. I have been working with it for the past 3 weeks, and am experiencing what I believe bloke had described above. The compression in the valves is so strong that you have to blow against the little "pops." so it sounds like venting is the answer. I will have to get that done asap.

The compression is so tight that if you push in the valve tuning slide without pressing the valve, it will pop back out! Talk about your tight tolerances!

Love the horn, btw. I am playing it for the summer concert series with the Lancaster BBB. I love the sound, just a little more pointed and clearer artix than on my boosey which has a much fuller tone with the19" bell. Plus my neck and shoulder do not get sore and numb like with the Boosey. (I have two compressed discs in my neck, which I think are aggravated by the reach of my left arm to use the 4th valve, which is why I wanted to try a valves-in-front style tuba like the NS.) I think if the venting accomplishes what is described in this thread, I may end up selling my old Boosey and Hawkes after 32 years of wedded bliss.

also want to try the new Eastman Eb when it finally comes out.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650