The coolest Tuba I have ever seen (Seriously)

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Re: The coolest Tuba I have ever seen (Seriously)

Post by jacobg »

What, no two shoulder ergonomic sousaphone?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

First, I'm wondering if the helicon picture is reversed.

But...Every other new tuba looks like a York/King/Miraphone/Alexander/Besson clone or adaptation. Every new euphonium, with rare exception, looks like a Besson clone. Why? These designs work. But they are not the only designs that work. For example, the Besson pre-merger "Enharmonic" tuba as a competition to the Boosey/Blaikley compensation worked fairly well with good intonation; too bad it was too heavy and a little stuffy. Remember that every instrument we play was a "new" design at some point.

So whether they work or not, or become economically viable or not, it is good to see some variation and experimentation on brass instrument design.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

iiipopes wrote:First, I'm wondering if the helicon picture is reversed.
No it is not reversed - it sits on right shoulder as you can see in attached photo. Apologies for the state of my hair - had just walked through monsoon rains to get to Anaheim conference center!

The big problem with this helicon is all the weight is out front. If wants to flop forwards. A regular helicon is the most balanced tuba of them all, effortless to wear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Wyvern wrote:
iiipopes wrote:First, I'm wondering if the helicon picture is reversed.
No it is not reversed - it sits on right shoulder as you can see in attached photo. Apologies for the state of my hair - had just walked through monsoon rains to get to Anaheim conference center!

The big problem with this helicon is all the weight is out front. If wants to flop forwards. A regular helicon is the most balanced tuba of them all, effortless to wear.
Thanks. If the balance issue was addressed, it would be nice to get the weight onto the right shoulder after playing (cough) decades of it on the left shoulder!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Post by ATschetter »

Reminds me of the animated Tubby the Tuba.
Hirsbrunner 392 CC
Wessex Berg F
Besson 794 BBb
A bunch of non-tubas that'd make this signature too long
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I gotta say, a front action helicon is a pretty cool idea.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Thanks for playing!