Arab Sheik

Musical clipart and multimedia
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Re: Arab Sheik

Post by groovlow »

Nice low D , sounds like a sousaphone or bell front leaning "privelege tone" :) into the mic. That's why i like a mic on a stand you can vary placement, and achieve proximity effects like a singer, on the fly. Listen to the first sustained low note fatten up as he leans in... thanks bloke
Joe "with pants on not political" Hunter
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Shiek Yerbouti, from the late Mr. F.V. Zappa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEwBWWQcj8
Last edited by GC on Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I love the curly fries at Araby's!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The Beatles recorded the song, "The Sheik of Araby."
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

goodgigs wrote:Arabi is a census-designated place in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana
That is a true fact, but it has nothing to do with this song. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sheik_of_Araby
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

OK, but maybe it has a little to do with it -
wikipedia wrote:The appeal to New Orleans bands may have lain in "Araby" sharing the same pronunciation as Arabi, Louisiana, a town downriver from New Orleans' 9th Ward and a center for gambling just outside city limits until the early 1950s.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

Donn wrote:OK, but maybe it has a little to do with it -
wikipedia wrote:The appeal to New Orleans bands may have lain in "Araby" sharing the same pronunciation as Arabi, Louisiana, a town downriver from New Orleans' 9th Ward and a center for gambling just outside city limits until the early 1950s.
Yes, that is what is known as an "after the fact fact" :D

Don't get me wrong - I like the song, with or without pants, and I know many NOLA bands play it. It is a lot of fun!
Back in 2003 I did a "Sheik" impromptu special on my radio program http://kfjc.org/music/playlist.php?i=6853 28 versions in about 2 hours! (my show starts at line 14 - a glitch in the program...)

The influence of Valentino not only inspired many songwriters of Pop and Jazz musicians in the first part of the 20th Century, it also gave a big push to the Shriners subset of The Masonic Order!