Trying to id a tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Trying to id a tuba

Post by bnloewen »

I am looking at what was described to me as being a "German Tuba", four rotary valves, Bb, with no labeling, other than a small marking of what appears to be an "A", but missing the horizontal line in the "A", in the middle of a music stand, with an oval around the entire symbol.

Can anyone help me out with who the manufacturer might be? Could this be an Amati symbol?

Thanks.

Barry
Bb Besson & Co, 1917, Grandpa's old tuba
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
Bb Miraphone 186, 1970, cosmetic challenges
Bb Martin Mammoth, 1958, stunning
Besson valve trombone, 1895, great shape
Bb King 1241, 1955, w/both bells
Bb Conn 38k Sousa, 1923, satin gold
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Trying to id a tuba

Post by thevillagetuba »

If you post or link to a picture, I'm sure info will come pouring in for you. Some here will be able to tell you just from seeing the wrap and braces and a picture of that symbol would help, as well. I don't know if enough information is contained in your description for anyone to give you an answer of any certainty.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Post by bnloewen »

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/bnloe ... sort=3&o=0" target="_blank

Here is a link to a photo of the small engraved logo. The tuba looks old, looks German, has four rotary valves, and this is the only marking. I am hoping that someone can recognize the logo and id it.

Thanks.

Barry
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Take pictures of the entire tuba, front and back.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bnloewen wrote:http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/bnloe ... sort=3&o=0" target="_blank

Here is a link to a photo of the small engraved logo. The tuba looks old, looks German, has four rotary valves, and this is the only marking. I am hoping that someone can recognize the logo and id it.

Thanks.

Barry
I'm fairly certain that's a very early St. Petersburg. I sold a raw brass one that had five rotors some time ago that had that same logo. In other words... Russian. Not German.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bnloewen wrote:what appears to be an "A", but missing the horizontal line in the "A"
=the Greek letter lambda, probably also used in the Cyrillic alphabet, something "russiantuba" could clarify for us.

This tells nothing about identifying your tuba, but anyway that's what the symbol is.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Yep, old St. Pete or Leningrad logo.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Post by bnloewen »

Yeah, I believe you guys are correct, it looks like pictures of an old Leningrad. I was hoping that it was not, as I have not read any good reviews for old Leningrads.

Thanks

Barry
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

The letter you describe is the cyrillic letter for L (for Leningrad I assume). The picture link above produces an error though for me.

There used to be a website years ago for a German company that got a hold a load of Russian built horns and replaced the valve cluster with a german machine. This became St Petersburg I believe. The German rotors on those horns were a vast improvement and they made nice little tubas for the money. I had one and kinda miss it still.
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Post by bnloewen »

I believe that this tuba is an old Leningrad, thanks everyone for the comments.

I have an opportunity to purchase this machine, although it is not worth as much to me now that I know it is not a German tuba, but is a Russian tuba that one review has referred to as a "Tuba shaped spittoon", and "difficult to find a worse tuba".

Does anyone know what I would expect to pay to have the four rotary valve block replaced, to improve this machine? Maybe I can factor that into the price.

Thanks

Barry
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

bnloewen wrote: Does anyone know what I would expect to pay to have the four rotary valve block replaced, to improve this machine? Maybe I can factor that into the price.
Unless there is some reason you just have to have this Leningrad tuba, don't bother with a project like replacing the valve block on it. You'd be upside down on it in a heartbeat and could never even hope to recoup that money if you sold it. Take what you would have spent to buy the Leningrad and do that project and buy a German tuba like you really want. Perhaps a used B&S or Miraphone?
Last edited by Tom on Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Post by bnloewen »

Thanks, good advice, I will pass on it.

Barry
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Post by bnloewen »

You guys were very helpful with this one, can I try another one? This one is an auction, description is a tuba, but it looks more like a baritone, with a bent curved bell. Three valves, rotary. There is no brand name on it, but this is the marked engraving. Can anyone please ID this engraving?

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... mxmpkv.jpg" target="_blank

Thanks again.

Barry
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

Is it the first photo that you are trying to ID?
The logo in the second photo looks like the Leningrad logo.
The other photographs especially the family one with the old tuba look like they deserve a thread of their own.
I would like to know more about the tuba through the generations and the Eb helicon.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
bnloewen
bugler
bugler

Post by bnloewen »

Wow, sorry, I did not realize that I was posting all those photos. I cannot access "Photobucket" on my work computer, so I was posting them with my cell phone, which is kind of clunky for someone with fat fingers.

The photo of my old tuba is a Besson, the serial number places it WWI vintage. My grandfather's brother supposedly played it when he was in the PPCLI (Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry) Band in WWI, but I don't know for sure, everyone is long gone. The original photo is a picture of my grandparents holding my aunt in the tuba. The next one is a current photo with my parents with the tuba. My mom is the two year older sister of the baby in the first photo and is currently 84 years old, so the picture would be around 82 years old. Kind of neat that the dents all match up. Before I found this photo, I was considering having some of the dents taken out, but I have now changed my mind.

My grandfather's brother (great uncle) gave me this tuba in 1983. He had an old schoolhouse filled with instruments that he had acquired when the town band had shutdown. I had graduated from high school and had consequently lost the tuba I had been loaned, so he gave me this tuba to get me by until I got a replacement. Despite the age and all the dents, it still plays remarkably well.
Eb Conn Helicon, 1893
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

Thanks for the reply it is very cool to have a family history tied into an instrument.
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.