Has anyone bought a Wiseman case?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Has anyone bought a Wiseman case?

Post by Tubadork »

Hey,
I saw these at ITEC in Knoxville and it seemed really cool. It looks a little funny and it's expensive.

Did anyone buy one?

I've had my tuba smashed up pretty bad twice lately and really want to fly with something different.

http://wisemanlondon.com/product/carbon ... tuba-case/" target="_blank

Thanks!
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Has anyone bought a Wiseman case?

Post by MikeMason »

I was in love with it,but cost over half the value of my tuba. Didn't seem to make sense. Not sure about flight worthy. Very cool though.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
tubaphillips
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubaphillips »

MikeMason wrote:I was in love with it,but cost over half the value of my tuba. Didn't seem to make sense. Not sure about flight worthy. Very cool though.
I have the first one ever made. Howard made it upon my request. It's a modular case. You switch out the padding and/or the lid and it can fit most tubas. I had mine made to fit my miraphone 1291 and my yamaha 822F. Mike, the case is made out of carbon fiber. It's stronger than steel. I have flown with it plenty of times, both domestic and internationally and have had ZERO trouble with it. I do highly recommend being present while the TSA inspects it. You're most likely to have your tuba smashed while TSA checks it out.
Harry Phillips
1954 Conn Naked Lady 20K
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

How much does it weigh?

Do you get charged for oversize and/or overweight when you fly with it?

Would it fit a 6/4?

Thanks,
T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
tubaphillips
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubaphillips »

T. J. Ricer wrote:How much does it weigh?

Do you get charged for oversize and/or overweight when you fly with it?

Would it fit a 6/4?

Thanks,
T. J.

Pretty sure it will fit a 6/4. My 1291 weighs in at 45.5 pds. I get charged for oversize depending on how much the ticket agent likes me. Virgin is the way to go for oversized. only $50 extra with them.
Harry Phillips
1954 Conn Naked Lady 20K
gretchenrenshaw
lurker
lurker

Post by gretchenrenshaw »

I know this post has been untouched for a while, but I just saw the Wiseman cases at the 2019 ITEC at the University of Iowa. I am considering purchasing one because I have to fly pretty regularly with my tuba, and I am hoping to connect with anyone who might own one.

So, is there anyone out there who owns one of these cases and has experience flying with it? I'm hoping to learn more about these cases from someone who has "lived" and flown with one. I'm curious to hear overall thoughts on the Wiseman carbon fiber case - especially, has it proved to be a good flight case for you? Have you experienced any damage to your horn when you have flown with it in this case? I’d be happy for any and all feedback that an owner would be willing to provide. Obviously, they are expensive cases, so I am trying to be really sure about it before I buy one. You can comment here or PM me. Thanks so much for your help!

FYI: I have read this entire thread to discover that Harry Phillips seems to own one. I've sent a PM his way but haven't heard back, so I'm trying to connect with him (or anyone else) through this post.

As a side note: I know there are other flight case options out there, but the Wiseman seems to be one of very few that, with a tuba inside, will weigh less than 50 pounds, the typical weight above which airlines charge for overweight baggage fees. I've been charged overweight baggage fees when flying with my Unitec case in the past - $200 each way on that trip. I am not in a position to regularly pay those fees or buy an extra seat for my tuba, which is why I am focusing my search on flight cases that are super light but very protective.

Thanks, all!
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Is it just me or does it kind of look like a rolling trash can?
Rob. Just Rob.