Playing tips for F tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Playing tips for F tuba

Post by BBruce107 »

Hi all, I am currently trying to work on my bass tuba playing. I have found that my tone quality gets very thin from G on the bottom line of the staff and lower. I will mention it is a Jinbao tuba so I do expect the sound to not be comparable to a melton, miraphone, etc. Is there any particular way to overcome the thin sound and make it sound easier and fuller. For reference I use a pt72 mouthpiece and it is a rotary valve tuba. Thanks in advance!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Playing tips for F tuba

Post by Ken Crawford »

I of course haven't heard you play, so I'm not certain exactly what "thin" means. You can't play at high volume, airy, pinched? Which Jinbao F are you playing on?
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Hi, it is the 3/4 Schiller with five valves. The sound is very uncentered and not as full as it is from the Ab just above the G and higher. I normally do not have the issue on bass tubas but recently I switched to an all rotary setup and it has been an issue.
Brandon Bruce
FatCat
bugler
bugler

Post by FatCat »

When I first played on a rotary F Tuba, the tone was very fluffy below the G. For me, I just found that the more I played on the problematic instrument, the better I sounded. Try doing a bunch of Bordogni, Kopprasch, Blazhevich, Grigoriev and Arban exercises that make use of the problem register. Try the slower ones first and then work your way up to the tougher ones.
Last edited by FatCat on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

This one: ?

http://www.schillerinstruments.com/tuba ... -f-tuba-34" target="_blank" target="_blank

I haven't played one of those. I have to say though that it is absolutely not "normal" to have problems with all notes lower than G at the bottom of the staff, not at all. If this range doesn't present an issue on contrabass tuba and this issue has always existed on this tuba, you should have the horn itself checked out. Has it ever been serviced? Make sure the valves are aligned (visually, not just with the marks on the back of the valves as these are off sometimes) and there are no large debris inside the tuba. Is this a new tuba? It is often a good idea to have a new Chinese tuba completely gone through before you start using it, no matter what company you buy it from.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

It is that exact horn! I am planning on having an alignment done on the horn. the fourth valve is a little off but the others look fine. However I trust that a shop could help improve the alignment and fix any issue that may not be present at this time. It is fairly new (bought it in November) and it was the same back then. I figured it was just a quirk at the time.
Brandon Bruce
FatCat
bugler
bugler

Post by FatCat »

kmorgancraw wrote: I have to say though that it is absolutely not "normal" to have problems with all notes lower than G at the bottom of the staff, not at all.
I guess I was wrong then :lol:

I've just been told that it's normal for notes lower than the G to get a little "fluffy" on rotary valve F Tubas.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

When I approached F tuba like I did my CC, my mid low range was very fluffy and uncentered. Bass tubas are different, expecially rotary F tubas, they need to be approached as such. Something the really helps me is lip slurs and octave slurs, making sure my sound is even between the registers.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Looks suspiciously like a berg
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Casca Grossa wrote:
MikeMason wrote:Looks suspiciously like a berg
I posted about this horn when it first appeared on the Laabs sight. I thought the same. They actually have a few horns that look like copies of Wessex horns.
The Berg pretty obviously was influenced by this horn. The fifth valve and circuit are in a different place, but that outwardly appears to be it.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Try some 2 octaves scales starting on the C below the staff, ascending. This is a good starting point to get some air moving. Play those low Cs until they sound and feel as big as you can make them. You can learn to go down another octave from there if you are patient.
MORE AIR
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I took the horn in yesterday and found that not only was the fourth valve out of line but the fifth was slightly off in the open position. I am having that alignment taken care of now and hopefully this will fix the issue. Thank you all for the input it is greatly appreciated!
Brandon Bruce
Bob Sadler
bugler
bugler

Post by Bob Sadler »

Thanks for the detailed post, Elephant. I've started on bass tuba (Eb) this summer after 20 years of CC only and your advice is much appreciated.
Regards,
Bob
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

bloke wrote:I don't know what a PT-72 is, and I have never played an F tuba like yours.

general F tuba playing tips...??

1/ "less"
Mostly general playing advice is much appreciated! It is an older number of Perantucci mouthpieces. Thanks Bloke!!
Brandon Bruce
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

something that helped me immensely is doing a scale exercise my teacher called "do-re-do" referring to the solfege syllables. Assuming you don't know solfege, I'll use note names first, then scale degree numbers to explain.

Starting on C in the Staff, play an ascending C scale and add a C in between each note

C D C E C F C G C A C B C (high)C C
in scale degrees that's 1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 1 7 1 8 1

I did this exercise in every key descending down into and beyond that range both slurred and with different articulations and dynamics.

Also, reverse it and try it backwards and try every key ascending to help with higher pitches.

Reversed it would be
8 1 8 2 8 3 8 4 8 5 8 6 8 7 8
and another fun variation if the regular reversal is too weird at first
1 8 2 8 3 8 4 8 5 8 6 8 7 8

Let me know if you don't understand any part of this and I'll try to make it clearer. Writing this exercise out has crossed my mind, but there are versions of it in arbans and kopprasch.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb