Mouthpiece for Miraphone 188

The bulk of the musical talk
indiaanderson
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece for Miraphone 188

Post by indiaanderson »

I've recently bought a gold brass Miraphone 188, and I'm looking for recommendations for mouthpieces. I'll probably end up going to Dillon Music and talking to Matt there anyways, but I thought I could find a good idea of where to start here.

Currently I play on a Conn Helleberg, which is nice, but I feel like the high register can easily be strained and the low register is thin. I've also noticed my endurance in the higher register is not ideal. But I've also just started playing CC tuba, so that could just be me getting used to the instrument. Before, I used the Helleberg on an old 1960s BBb Miraphone 186, and it served me pretty well, it gave nice clarity and I like the larger cup size. Before the Helleberg I played on a Schilke 66, which had a nice, round sound, but too small of a cup. I've tried it with my 188, doesn't work for me.

So I'm wondering, what mouthpieces should I try out that have the same or larger sized cup as the Helleberg but might produce a little more of a rounded sound?
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece for Miraphone 188

Post by pjdicris »

Try the Warburton Arnold Jacobs. It's what I used to use.
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

indiaanderson wrote:I've recently bought a gold brass Miraphone 188, and I'm looking for recommendations for mouthpieces. I'll probably end up going to Dillon Music and talking to Matt there anyways, but I thought I could find a good idea of where to start here.

Currently I play on a Conn Helleberg, which is nice, but I feel like the high register can easily be strained and the low register is thin. I've also noticed my endurance in the higher register is not ideal. But I've also just started playing CC tuba, so that could just be me getting used to the instrument. Before, I used the Helleberg on an old 1960s BBb Miraphone 186, and it served me pretty well, it gave nice clarity and I like the larger cup size. Before the Helleberg I played on a Schilke 66, which had a nice, round sound, but too small of a cup. I've tried it with my 188, doesn't work for me.

So I'm wondering, what mouthpieces should I try out that have the same or larger sized cup as the Helleberg but might produce a little more of a rounded sound?
If you've been successful with the Helleberg already, may I suggest the PT-50 or PT-88 mouthpieces? Either of those are a thinner rim profile and deeper cup similar to the Helleberg that were virtually made with larger German rotary tubas in mind. Both can be had second hand for cheap as well.
indiaanderson
lurker
lurker

Post by indiaanderson »

Thanks everyone! I'll have to try these out.
apurdum
bugler
bugler

Post by apurdum »

I have tried several different mouthpieces with my 188 and I always end up coming back to the Miraphone TU29 that came with it.
Miraphone 188CC
Henri Gautier Virtuoso Eb
Weril Euphonium
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I actually don't remember very well what I used and when with my 188. I'm pretty sure I used a G&W Baer MMVI, Blokepiece Symphony, a few of the Miraphone mouthpieces, a PT-88, and something else (a Geib or a Mike Finn)?

Honestly, I found that the tuba was NOT very mouthpiece sensitive, and worked well with just about anything. I probably liked the Blokepiece the best, but I don't like stainless steel and I moved on from that.

Is this a new or old gold brass 188?
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

For solo and quintet work I use a Miraphone Rose Solo TU27. For a wider sound I use something similar to a PT88.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

Model 188 is a great and often overlooked tuba. I have played/owned a lot of Mirafones. In my 186 CC I used an old Rose Solo for years, now on a classic King #26. In my gold brass 188 CC I used a PT 83 for some time, now using a PT 72.
Last edited by kathott on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Pt-48 imo would be about what you want
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

kathott wrote:Model 188 is a great and sometimes overlooked tuba. I have played and owned a lot of Mirafones! In my 186-CC I use an old Rose Solo. In my gold brass 188-CC I waffle between a PT 83 and the Mirafone TU 27 (the newer Rose Solo).
What's the difference between the old Rose Solo and the newer Rose Solo and how would I know which one I have?

Thanks
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

Another great thing about the old ‘standard’ Mirafones (184, 185, 186) is that they accept many mouthpiece designs. The newer and vintage Rose Solo models have the same specs, just different numbering systems. Both come with the American stem.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

bort wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 am
Honestly, I found that the tuba was NOT very mouthpiece sensitive, and worked well with just about anything.
A friend had one, and that was his experience, too.

Personally, I love my Giddings Taku as a Helleberg-type 'piece.

The best thing is that you're going to Dillon Music and talking to Matt, who rules. Bring the 188 and play a bunch of different ones until one speaks to you. Or maybe three will speak to you; buy them, keep trying them out, and return two.
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

PT-88
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

Check out a Laskey 30G. You have the American and European shank options too which is nice and definitely changes things from tuba to tuba. Best wishes on your search.