Flying with my tuba question

The bulk of the musical talk
one.kidney
bugler
bugler

Flying with my tuba question

Post by one.kidney »

what do you all use when packing a flight case? I have been told to pack bubble wrap all around it, but what do you all do to protect your bell? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
IU Jacobs School of music BM Performance
Miraphone 1292 "New Yorker" CC
Miraphone Firebird 6v F
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Flying with my tuba question

Post by Ferguson »

For shipping Horn Guys tubas I do this.

Buy a nice bottle of beer. Take it to your local carpet store and offer it to the salesman. Ask for one of their extra carpet roll tubes. Take the tube home. Buy some bubble wrap. More than that. Place a 1'x2' piece of bubble wrap down inside the bell, double that for a large tuba. Stick the large cardboard tube down the center of the bell on top of the bubble wrap. Cut the tube to length with a knife so it fits snugly in the case and holds the bell rim away from the inside edge of the case. Put extra bubble wrap around the tube to keep it centered, and all around your tuba for a tight fit.

-F
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Others buy something like a volleyball and inflate it so it works like the above...keeps the bell edges away from the case, and makes a tight fit.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Or maybe ship the tuba ahead? Shipping FedEx on a pallet costs less than you think if you have access to a vendor account.and there's the controversial greyhound.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo