Werner Chr Schmidt mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Werner Chr Schmidt mouthpieces

Post by bort »

Curious if anyone has had any direct experiences or any thoughts to share about these mouthpieces...?

http://www.schmidt-brass.de/englisch/mo ... s-tuba.htm" target="_blank
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Werner Chr Schmidt mouthpieces

Post by hubert »

I have used Schmidt mouthpieces for years. Next to Josef Klier and Bruno Tilz Werner Schmidt is one of the most experienced mouthpiece-makers in Germany. The family is already for 6 generations in this business!!

Hubert
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

That largest mouthpiece in the upper section is nuts: model 430, 61.5 mm outer diameter, 43.0 mm inner diameter, 50.0 mm cup depth, 8.3 mm throat (not that big). You could stick the end of a lot of other mouthpieces inside the cup and it would rattle around.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

GC wrote:That largest mouthpiece in the upper section is nuts: model 430, 61.5 mm outer diameter, 43.0 mm inner diameter, 50.0 mm cup depth, 8.3 mm throat (not that big). You could stick the end of a lot of other mouthpieces inside the cup and it would rattle around.
43mm inner diameter? :lol:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks!

Hubert, which model do you use? Also curious why both Tilz and Schmidt make the Hilgers WH-B2 mouthpieces, and what the differences are.

And yes, that 430 model is absolutely huge. I don't even understand how that could work!
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Hello Bort,

I have used the Liemen 328 FW and 328 BW for a rather long time. The depth of these mouthpieces works well for me (mild orchestral sound); bore not too big, so rather centered tone; nice rounded rim with good flexibility.

By the way: Bernhard Schmidt, today's owner of the Werner Chr. Schmidt company, works a lot with professional musicians, a.o. of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchester and the Staatskapelle Dresden, as far as I know. And he was very happy to tell me some time ago, that one of his grand children now is being educated as a brass instrument maker and in due time will take over the business: the 7th generation!!

About the giant mouthpiece: I believe to remember that this was made merely as a demonstration model for the giant tuba, built by a bunch of instrument makers at Markneukirchen some years ago, and since 2015 featured in the Markneukirchen Musical Instrument Museum (and played now and then at shows by Joerg Wachsmuth, but probably with one of his own mouthpieces).

I am sorry not to have any experience with the Hilgers mouthpieces. I once tried one of these, but it did not work for me (not sure anymore, but I think bore was too big for me).

Best,
Hubert
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

Hello Bort,

I've used both the Hilgers series from Tilz and Schmidt and here is my 2 cents:

They look similar but have quite a different "feel". The B2 models are the most comparable. The Schmidt version has a slightly sharper rim and a somewhat deeper cup. After playing on the Tilz for many years, i switched to the Schmidt because i found it to have a "finer" sound. It does however require a bit more effort to maintain the clarity of articulation. Both are old school designs that still work well for older style kaiser BBb tubas such as Bohland Fuchs, Cerveny or the Melton 197, Fafner etc.

The old school form comes from the old Hablowitz mouthpiece maker of whom, Tilz is the descendent. At some point I assume someone went to Schmidt and had their B2 copied...
Regards from Berlin,
TheBerlinerTuba