Buescher True Tone - Info? Value?

The bulk of the musical talk
Ryan_Beucke
3 valves
3 valves

Buescher True Tone - Info? Value?

Post by Ryan_Beucke »

A buddy of mine who's a band teacher had this donated to his school along with a bunch of other instruments. I haven't gotten my hands on it, but he says it's in basically new condition. He thinks it's from around 1917 or so. He's probably going to ask for permission from the person who donated it to sell it to purchase other instruments for the school, since it hardly seems fair to unleash it on even the most careful students. Does anyone have any information on these horns? Any idea what the value might be? There's very little info online.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan_Beucke
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Buescher True Tone - Info? Value?

Post by Ryan_Beucke »

Here's another shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Wow!
That is some wacky valve routing. Leadpipe enters #2!
Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I'm no help.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Kirley wrote:Wow!
That is some wacky valve routing. Leadpipe enters #2!
Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I'm no help.
Interesting, (though no help here either) - the 2nd valve shall be 1st. Note that the 1st connects directly to the third, and I assume also to the 2nd on the back side: it's really the middle valve for some reason, just transposed to the 1st position because no one would want to relearn the valve positions. I think. Why would they do all this?
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Which was the purpose of routing the airstream through the pistons in the sequence of 2-1-3?

Klaus
MusicSmiths
bugler
bugler

Post by MusicSmiths »

Stumbled across this Conn Conn-Queror cornet (1904) with the same sort of tubing idea. Perhaps has something to do with HP/LP and tuning slide options???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Conn-Quero ... SwBLlVMri5" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
David Smith
Wessex BBb Grand (5 valve)
Wessex Festivo
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Courtesy of the Sax Museum...click on # 15 & 16....

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/516" target="_blank
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Interesting!

Only I cannot get the text low on the page #15 to display in a resolution that I can read.

With the alto horns mentioned at the center of the page #15 four options are mentioned. 3 I get, but what is a deflecting bell?

Klaus
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I hate fancy interfaces like that! Is this http://www.saxophone.org/uploads/museum ... 0_1997.jpg more amenable?

Deflecting is just another name for bell front, I suppose a more accurate one as they're not really constrained to point forward but can be rotated to any direction.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Thanks for the better link!

Apparently the purpose is a better geometry of the passages through the pistons. To understand how that works I would need to have the instrument in my hands. Or a very thorough photo documentation by someone truly understanding how this concept is executed.

I accept the explanation of deflecting in a bell context. Only I wonder that the first of the 4 options for alto horns then is called ’bell front’. Is the difference that the bell front is fixed and the deflecting bell is detachable?

Klaus
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

imperialbari wrote:I accept the explanation of deflecting in a bell context. Only I wonder that the first of the 4 options for alto horns then is called ’bell front’. Is the difference that the bell front is fixed and the deflecting bell is detachable?
Could be ... I guess another very unlikely possibility is that "bell front" means "marching", trumpet style configuration. It's interesting that this one is "Solo", may mean something or may not.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

It's an "Epoch" Model. Very cool!
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

"Epoch" valves were intended to put all valve passages and slides on similar planes to minimize sharp turns. The intention was to simulate the slide of a trombone as much as possible. Well enough for a cornet, but the 90° turns you need for larger instruments kind of cancels that "feature". They soon realized that the horns pretty much played like any others and went to "normal" valves.

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Ryan_Beucke
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ryan_Beucke »

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone!

Bloke, what makes you think it was restored? The finish?

I wish I could get the horn in my hands to give it a good run through and check the intonation and valve wear. Maybe I'll take a trip.

Does anyone have an idea of what it might be worth, or where to start shopping it around if they decide to go that route?
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

This horn with the exact same routing popped up on ebay, minus the 'w' tuning slide and high grade restoration work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Buesche ... Swq8BZbfjJ" target="_blank