Karl Zeiss BBb Atlanta CL

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Karl Zeiss BBb Atlanta CL

Post by edsel585960 »

Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Karl Zeiss BBb Atlanta CL

Post by Dan Schultz »

Another post in the general section asks about the difference between the B & S and the Cerveny 'stencils'. This is an example of a Cerveny one with Alexander influence.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

Hi Dan,
I understand the Cerveny-built part (1 & 4 valve tubing coming out straight along the long axis of the horn) but what is the Alexander influence?
Thx,
royjohn
royjohn
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

royjohn wrote:Hi Dan,
I understand the Cerveny-built part (1 & 4 valve tubing coming out straight along the long axis of the horn) but what is the Alexander influence?
Thx,
royjohn
The bow guards... the backing plates of the attachments... some of the Alex tubas I've seen had bow guards that went inside the ferrules instead of stopping short of them... just a variety of things that weren't common to the B & S-built ones. The routing of the tuning circuits. The B & S 4th wrap has a very wiiiide 4th slide that runs along the backside of the main bows while the Alex tubas are pretty much 'tucked in' like the Miraphones.

As far as strictly identifying the 'Alex influence'... it might be easier to just say "not B & S" because Alexander bounced around with several styles over the years. Sometimes it's difficult to spot an Alex but it's almost impossible for me to miss-identity a B & S 101 'stencil'. About the only B & S variant that's hard to spot in the 'Sanders Imperial' stencil that Custom Music brought in from Asia. Other that some very minor differences in the size of the backing plates and profile of the thumb ring... they can be real 'foolers'.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.