Your suggestions for a Tuba harness?

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
MN_TimTuba

Your suggestions for a Tuba harness?

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Looking for your experiences and your input.
Since high school I've always played my tuba solos and Dixie groups, etc., while standing, I just prefer it that way, just like when I solo on 'bone or trumpet, or play bass or whatever. Anyhow, I've been asked to solo next spring with our community band, and I ain't no spring chicken anymore, but I do prefer standing. I'm just thinking I may want a good strap/harness set-up when I get my Holton 345 back from repairs in a month or so. If you've performed using a harness, what do you recommend? I did a search here to no avail.
I guess what precipitates this question is that I've been playing a borrowed King 2341 while waiting on the repairs, and it's a nice horn. The first time I picked it up to play I actually laughed at how completely effortless it was to hold while standing. And it's not just me - my grown son (who has only seen me with the Holton for the last 25 yrs or so) came over for fishing the other day, saw the King in my den (I'd been playing just before he got there), and said,"What's that? It's kind of cute!" That made me realize that the difference between the two horns is real, not just something in my head.
SO, what have you tried that works?
Many thanks,
Tim
PS. To those of you who've used the 2341, what were your playing impressions?
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Your suggestions for a Tuba harness?

Post by Ltrain »

Neotech. I would just suggest going a size smaller than logic would indicate. My only issue with Neo is they didn't seem to account for stretching as you wear it. I'm 6ft and the junior size works perfectly for me. The regular tuba size was way too long for my horn, even with the adjustment tightened all the way.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'd also recommend a smaller/lighter tuba!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Three Valves wrote:I'd also recommend a smaller/lighter tuba!!

:tuba:
Three - believe me, that has crossed my mind! This King is pretty nice, I also had great fun playing a beautiful little silver YBB621 for about five years. I'm just 59, but something small may be a retirement horn when I get there; or maybe a nifty EEb like Mark up there is selling. Either way, I'd keep the Holton for full band use.
Mark and BrooklynBass, I'll track down the Neotech product, and I greatly appreciate your experience. Anyone else?
Thanks, all.
Tim
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
NeoTech....thanks to Matt Walters and Dillon Music, I got the XL version sent up here for a gig this Friday where I need to come out front during the intro tune with the traveling show, & after the medley concludes, then I unhook it and go back to the orchestra ...Hans Zimmer Live.
Received the harness today, and after watching NeoTech's video on it-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSXqr-CJv1Y" target="_blank

-& experimenting with it, finally have it all set up and ready to go. Should be fun.
Mark