Looking for tuba solo

The bulk of the musical talk
k123ason
lurker
lurker

Looking for tuba solo

Post by k123ason »

I am 17 years old, a senior in high school. I practice my tuba daily, I do daily scales and exercises, I am very good for my age. I am auditioning for the Honor's Performance Series on September 28. I am working on a Blazhevich etude and a Rochut etude (which I have been working on for a few months), as well as the etude they have provided. Now, all I need is a solo with piano accompaniment, about 4-5 minutes in length. I don't want to spend too much time searching for a solo as I have these past few days.

I am looking for a solo that is quite advanced, but not at a professional level. Probably something more advanced than the solos in the "Concert and Competition Collection" book by H. Voxman. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for tuba solos?
Mark

Re: Looking for tuba solo

Post by Mark »

The first movement of the Gregson Tuba Concert would fit your time constraint and may be your abilities. It also works well on a contrabass tuba, assuming that is what your are using.
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

Many folks have the tendency to try to pick the hardest thing they can possibly play. Although you want to showcase your skills, you also want to choose something you can play really well. I suggest picking a solo that you dig musically that you can make some great music out of. Here are some of the classics for players around your age:

Maybe a movement or two from the Haddad Suite

Either the Andante or Rondo from Capuzzi's Andante and Rondo could work.

A few movements from Marcello's Cello Sonata #1 in F Major.

A few movements from the Vaughan Williams 6 Studies in English Folk Songs would be nice if you're looking for more lyrical solo selections.

Lento from Paul Holmes gives a nice contrast.

Honor and Arms is an old standby for high school players.
[/post]
Beervangelist
bugler
bugler

Post by Beervangelist »

THE TUBA wrote: I suggest picking a solo that you dig musically that you can make some great music out of. Here are some of the classics for players around your age:

A few movements from the Vaughan Williams 6 Studies in English Folk Songs would be nice if you're looking for more lyrical solo selections.
The English Folk Songs are a great suggestion. I played them for years. They really invite, encourage and demonstrate musicality, phrasing and expression. They may not be the most complex - but there ain't nowhere to hide, either.
1926 BBb King Giant Sousaphone
1950's BBb "Metro - Lockie Music Exchange" stenciled "Spaghetti York" Sousaphone
1997 Carvin 5-String fretless bass
http://www.strappingowls.com
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

RSorenson
bugler
bugler

Post by RSorenson »

I also really like the Haddad Suite. Also look into Introduction and Dance by Barat. It is originally for Euphonium but there is a tuba transcription. Its a great high school level piece.
Ryan Sorenson
Stetson University
Professor of Tuba

MM from Northwestern University
BM from University of South Florida
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

My new favorite, the Effervescent Ballroom by Gulino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyoPUvGs0lY" target="_blank

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

Lots of good advice and suggestions in this brief thread.

I'm just gonna repeat one concept that's already been said, but just in slightly different words. In an audition, you need to show off what you "can" play, and play well. It doesn't do anybody any good to show what you can't play, or what you can just-barely-almost play.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Roger Lewis wrote:My new favorite, the Effervescent Ballroom by Gulino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyoPUvGs0lY" target="_blank" target="_blank

Roger
That is beautiful and very well played!
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Alec Wilder's "Effie Suite" has a high enjoyment factor for the player and the listener. You can play as many movements as you wish.
MORE AIR
Mark

Post by Mark »

Roger Lewis wrote:My new favorite, the Effervescent Ballroom by Gulino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyoPUvGs0lY" target="_blank" target="_blank"
This is very nice. Thank you for making us aware of this solo.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Uncle Buck wrote:Lots of good advice and suggestions in this brief thread.

I'm just gonna repeat one concept that's already been said, but just in slightly different words. In an audition, you need to show off what you "can" play, and play well. It doesn't do anybody any good to show what you can't play, or what you can just-barely-almost play.
Yes!!

Is tuba playing like diving??

I don't think one should get more points for poor execution of technically more difficult "dives"

and besides, it's so hard to listen to!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.