Confused by notation

The bulk of the musical talk
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Confused by notation

Post by DonShirer »

I've been looking at the marches written by Russell Axexamder and am confused by one of the notation quirks that he has used several times. For example in the Intro to Olympia Hippodrome the Cornets, Clarinets and Flutes are given four notes in a 2/2 measure that look like two pairs of eighth-notes connected by bars, but the note heads are open like half-notes. I would guess this mean that each of these "notes" is equivalent to two eighth-notes? That would add up to 8 eighth-notes to complete the measure.
Last edited by DonShirer on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Re: Confused by notation

Post by Mark Horne »

I believe it means that those notes alternate for one beat (half note) for a total of 4 eighth notes each. The publisher Barnhouse shows a more modern arrangement of the march (sample score page) that has those notes written out. It shows those parts have two identical groups of alternating eighth notes that are slurred.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

Thanks. That sample clears up the confusion!
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

I suggest your musicians learn to read the notation. You'll find that device all through Harry L. Alford's marches, and in old transcriptions (overtures, "selection from"). Whatever happened "bandstand savvy"?
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Uncle Markie wrote:I suggest your musicians learn to read the notation. You'll find that device all through Harry L. Alford's marches, and in old transcriptions (overtures, "selection from"). Whatever happened "bandstand savvy"?
"Bandstand savvy" comes from playing and, when seeing something unfamiliar, asking a question and then remembering the answer for next time.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I know some old stuff that kids don't know.

Kids know some new stuff that I don't know.

By the way, there's some old stuff I don't know either.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?