How to clean a gig bag?

The bulk of the musical talk
TwitchHBM
lurker
lurker

How to clean a gig bag?

Post by TwitchHBM »

I have a Pro-Tec tuba gig bag. The gig bag was out (no tuba in it, thankfully) and my dog decided to mark it.

Obviously, it smells. He marked it around the bell area and now it stinks. How can I clean this thing?

Can you put them in the washer? I imagine that would ruin the soft lining on the inside.

I just really need some help, because I don't want a dog-scented gig bag but I also don't want to have to buy a new one.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: How to clean a gig bag?

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

Go to a pet store and buy Natures Miracle cleaner. Be sure to get the cleaner with the microbes. Best way to get rid of pet smells. May be the only way with cat marking. I'm sure the TNFJ will have better suggestions. Good luck.
Last edited by Rivercity Tuba on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwitchHBM
lurker
lurker

Post by TwitchHBM »

What is the TNFJ? And thanks. I'll see what I can do. It really smells along the zipper and stuff. Ugh. I'm so mad at my dog right now.
Jobey Wilson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jobey Wilson »

My dog did the same, but he was sick & actually squirt poop on mine, YUCK!!! I took it to an Anton's Cleaners and they took care of it. I used to put my old Altieri bag straight into the washer, but the Chronkite bags aren't as flexible. Next step was a laundromat, but they wouldn't put the bag into their big washer because they were afraid the metal buckles on the strap would hurt the glass. Jobey
Joseph "Jobey" Wilson, DMA
Pittsburg State University
www.pittstate.edu/music/
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Rivercity Tuba wrote:Go to a pet store and buy Natures Miracle cleaner.
This product works really well. I also like to get all the Nature's Miracle out by soaking the object (just the area in question) with water and then pulling most of the water out by squeezing with paper towels. Do this over and over until you have used at least a full roll of paper towels. Final dry is very important to avoid mildew. Put the case out in the sun or in the direct path a dehumidifier fan.

Hiup
Do you really need Facebook?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I agree that Nature's Miracle does work.

The more general steps to dealing with a gig (dent) bag are:

1) Find a large garbage can.
2) Place the gig bag into the garbage can.
3) Place the garbage can out at the curb for pick up.
4) Buy a case that actually protects your tuba.
ASmith
bugler
bugler

Post by ASmith »

I would imagine any dry cleaner that does large items (like rugs, quilts, etc.) might be a good go to. Just call ahead for pricing. That way you only spend like $20 and save yourself some work.
Rudy 5/4 CC
Willson 3400-FA5