Wessex XL rotary BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Wessex XL rotary BBb

Post by anonymous4 »

Does anyone have more information about this tuba? From reading on the forum, it would seem that there are a few known knowns:

1. It is big.
2. It is special order only since demand was low.
3. It's removable bell could fit on an old Martin.

What I would like to know is exactly how "XL" is this tuba. 5/4? 6/4? What is the inspiration for the design? It makes me think of the old Bill Bell Kings. Is the price accurate on the webpage, or is it different now that it is a "special order" tuba? Finally, has anyone played on one, and if so, thoughts?

Thanks!
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex XL rotary BBb

Post by EdFirth »

The BBb rotary Kings are a lot larger than the C's and sport a .750 bore.The bell tenon is a little smaller than a Martin Mammoth. I own one of each. Fun horns. Ed
The Singing Whale
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

I like the look of it, very Kaiser.
But wary of the underlying JB 210.
solid 5/4 size...although it has 6/4 bell the body is not as fat as American 6/4.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The TB576 XL is inspired by the old King's. It is based on the body of the TB575 Luzern, but with different taper in that it enlarges quicker with larger size bell. I would call it 5/4 size. They do play well. one professional who play tested said he preferred to his orchestra's Fafner and he thought it would be ideal for playing Prokofiev. One is being played professionally in the Band of the Blues and Royals in London.

On the debit side, other people find them too heavy, particularly with the extra weight of the bell collar.

All of the XL had Wessex Z valves, so nice reliable valves.

Sales of these have been slow, so I have decided to discontinue from stocking - although one lacquer example remains at the Michigan store. We did think it was sold, but the buyers fiancé had other ideas :wink:
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Wyvern wrote:The TB576 XL is inspired by the old King's. It is based on the body of the TB575 Luzern, but with different taper in that it enlarges quicker with larger size bell. I would call it 5/4 size. They do play well. one professional who play tested said he preferred to his orchestra's Fafner and he thought it would be ideal for playing Prokofiev. One is being played professionally in the Band of the Blues and Royals in London.

On the debit side, other people find them too heavy, particularly with the extra weight of the bell collar.

All of the XL had Wessex Z valves, so nice reliable valves.

Sales of these have been slow, so I have decided to discontinue from stocking - although one lacquer example remains at the Michigan store. We did think it was sold, but the buyers fiancé had other ideas :wink:
Road trip to MI. :D
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

Jonathan, you came close with the XL but there's a lot of us out here looking for a quality large 6/4 rotary Kaiser at a better price point than the European makers offer.
Eric "noting large BBbs are back in vogue"