Major Intonation Issues

The bulk of the musical talk
joshlee
bugler
bugler

Re: Major Intonation Issues

Post by joshlee »

In an attempt to be helpful I would recommend trying a longer tuning slide. If you can't blow the fundamental in tune that's an issue. Don't spend a ton of time trying to lip every note into the proper place because you'll end up physically micro managing the mechanics of it all. Could you be over blowing? Maybe, but if you've played for trusted teachers that is something they should have picked up on. Don't waste your time blaming yourself if you given yourself ample time to get the swing of it.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

The OP noted in another thread that he previously played a school-owned Yamaha 321 BBb. Does this qualify as appreciably smaller than the TU210?
royjohn
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

bloke wrote:
royjohn wrote:The OP noted in another thread that he previously played a school-owned Yamaha 321 BBb. Does this qualify as appreciably smaller than the TU210?
The 210 is wrapped up tighter (to me: classifies as "piggy"), but seems - otherwise - to be about the same size, and within the same (roughly speaking) bore size range (.728" vs. .768").

(I haven't followed this thread...' only responding to last post.)
Agreed. The YBB321 is a full size tuba. The TU210 is a few inches shorter (bell to bottom bow), and is also a full size tuba.
I don't put much into bore size, especially comparing instruments with totally different layouts like these 2. The bells are comparable and both normal sized.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings