Bard College Conversatory- 1 APS tuba opening, $0 tuition +$

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Tuboxchef
bugler
bugler

Bard College Conversatory- 1 APS tuba opening, $0 tuition +$

Post by Tuboxchef »

Hello all, it's that time of the year again. Bard College Conservatory will have one opening starting next Fall for our APS program. As in years past, this is a highly competitive program that accepts only one APS to join our studio of two (one undergrad and one APS). Our current APS student, Aidan Zimmermann is a great example of the type of person I am looking to join my studio-- highly motivated, with an immense interest in either orchestral or band studies (I should mention Bard only has an orchestra...the band preparation comes from lessons). This conservatory is a performance based school, and everyone who attends has a passion to perform. Close proximity to New York City and Boston is also a benefit of studying here (each within 2-3 hour drive/train).

Scholarship opportunity is amazing...tuition is free, with an additional stipend to help with living expenses. Bard is also unique in that we now house a New World Symphony modeled orchestra, called TŌN (The Orchestra Now). Additional performance opportunities with TŌN is a possibility, and of course when the tuba position is open you can also audition for TŌN.

This is a great program with incredible faculty, including members of the New York Philharmonic and Metropolitan Opera. I am fortunate to be among these world class faculty.

For more information about the conservatory and the APS degree, please visit http://www.bard.edu/conservatory/" target="_blank

Please message me for more information and how to apply.
Derek Fenstermacher

I own tubas.
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Re: Bard College Conversatory- 1 APS tuba opening, $0 tuitio

Post by lowtones425 »

Just thought I'd throw a word in here...

First a disclaimer; I'm at Bard College for a Master's in Conducting and not as a tuba student...

Derek is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and is a MONSTER of a tuba player. His students have nothing but positive comments about him, and he is definitely 110% committed to helping with your individual growth as a musician.

Bard is a very unique campus, to be honest. It seems like the perfect synthesis of quiet country living and very high quality social and cultural opportunities. I mean, does it get better than being able to perform in and attend concerts in a Frank Gehry designed concert hall?

If you are serious about having time and space to really focus and practice, this campus provides a welcome relief from the distractions of urban life. The faclities are gorgeous for the most part, especially in the relatively new Conservatory building and separate practice room building.

My final comment is that the Conservatory is like one big family. Once you get to know people and vice versa, you'll find that it really is a tight knit musical community, and that people are above all passionate about making music.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
Tuboxchef
bugler
bugler

Re: Bard College Conversatory- 1 APS tuba opening, $0 tuitio

Post by Tuboxchef »

Just a quick update: live auditions for Bard's APS tuba opening will be on March 4, 2018. If for some reason you can not attend that date, please let Frank Corliss or me know, and we can make other arrangements. In the past, recordings have been considered, but a live audition is strongly encouraged. A private lesson with me, arranged on a different date, can also suffice in lieu of a live audition.

I look forward to reviewing the applicants for our tuba opening!

If you have any questions, please drop me a message. Happy college hunting!
Derek Fenstermacher

I own tubas.
zmann67
bugler
bugler

DEADLINE JAN1st: Bard Conservatory- 1 APS opening, $0 tuitio

Post by zmann67 »

Hey Tubenet, the deadline to apply for Bard is January 1st not December 1st, so there is still time to add one more school to your laundry list of grad programs. It's a great program with a great teacher in a great area with great financial aid ($14k a year stipend)

I'm the current APS student so if you have any questions feel free to ask:
jz[dot]5203[at]bard[dot]edu
PT6
PT16