Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Michael Bush »

I don't personally want one, and I get that Wessex is no longer really the company to produce it, but I continue to wonder why no one has had an instrument made in China that references the 187/188.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Michael Bush wrote:I don't personally want one, and I get that Wessex is no longer really the company to produce it, but I continue to wonder why no one has had an instrument made in China that references the 187/188.
That will be because no supplier has taken a 187/188 to China and asked a factory to make a copy. The Chinese factories generally only make what respected western companies ask them to make.

You are correct, that is not in Wessex plans :wink:
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Is there some reason you didn't do this at the formative stage of the business? It can't be that no one ever thought of it, surely.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

For the first two years of Wessex, I could not get any interest in making new model tubas for Wessex. The company had to be a certain size and the factory had to believe I knew what I was talking about before they would make new tubas for Wessex. Now Wessex is their biggest tuba customer and they will make virtually anything I ask.

So at the time I might have made 187/188 clone I could not - and now it is not really part of Wessex strategy.
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AHynds »

It's only been a few months, but I'm really curious--any updates on the French C tuba?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

AHynds wrote:It's only been a few months, but I'm really curious--any updates on the French C tuba?
Not really, but Chuck Nickles and I are at the factory the last two weeks September, so there may have some news after that...
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

That's the one I'm waiting to hear about
jmdavis
lurker
lurker

Post by jmdavis »

I agree with some of the early posts about the tubassist.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

bort wrote:Made in the UK? :)

Seems like kaiser BBb's are gaining popularity in the US, and were never unpopular in Europe. I'm not sure what your biggest rotary BBb is right now, but I'm sure something else could be done along those lines.

+1 (+_+)
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AHynds »

WakinAZ wrote:
bort wrote:Made in the UK? :)

Seems like kaiser BBb's are gaining popularity in the US, and were never unpopular in Europe. I'm not sure what your biggest rotary BBb is right now, but I'm sure something else could be done along those lines.

+1 (+_+)
A 5-valve rotary Kaiser BBb would be greatly welcomed.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

A Kaiser BBb is in the planning stage, although I cannot say more. We are a long way from finalising the design :)
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

Any news on the Michigan replacement?
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Post by ATschetter »

I know that Hirsbrunner is no more. Any chance that Wessex will resurrect any of their designs, or those of Willson? I've always liked Wilson's F tubas.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

ATschetter wrote:I know that Hirsbrunner is no more. Any chance that Wessex will resurrect any of their designs, or those of Willson? I've always liked Wilson's F tubas.
It has been stated that Wessex is moving away from clones and resurrections.
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Post by ATschetter »

kmorgancraw wrote:It has been stated that Wessex is moving away from clones and resurrections.
I see. It's a good thing to see the company starting to "stand on their own." At the very least I'm happy they're considering making a French C tuba if not drawing one up as we speak.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Just to clarify, Wessex has nothing against resurrections, or developing on established designs, but I don't think it fair to just clone/copy modern designs which other companies have invested in developing
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

I would be the next for the french C. But please do NOT change the fingering. Not only for authenticity, but for very practical reasons: with the sixth valve doing a perfect fifth it is possible to finger down the lower octave with only one or two valves at a time pressed, only the Eb below staff (and one octave below) requires three valves. So you have a very similar resistance in blowing even between Db (4+6) and C (pedal). And an even sound, too. Just listen to Canadian Brass' Tuba Tiger Rag, when Chuck goes down at the end: F, stuffy Eb, very stuffy D, very open Pedal C and Bb. The same effect on every compensated horn.
And you can finger down more than an octave (from C to A!). The fifth valve as a second half-step is very comfortable for chromatic wizardry, I have mine pulled out for giving a half-step with 4 or 6 (Gb and E).
If you use a standard F-tuba fingering it would be a "French-looking-little-horn-how-cute-and-I-always-told-you-they-have-no-sound-in-the-low-register-even-i-never-heard-one-playing".
Wyvern wrote: "A French C tuba does not sound like a euphonium I believe - it is one of the saxhorn family" - Yes- but it still sounds more tuba-like than a Saxhorn.
One nice improvement would be a large-shank mouthpiece receiver. The choice on medium-shank mouthpieces is a bit restricted, with all that big Euph- and Bassbone mouthpieces life would be easier.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

ronr wrote:Any news on the Michigan replacement?
See my latest post - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83955&p=633648#p633648
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

ATschetter wrote:I know that Hirsbrunner is no more. Any chance that Wessex will resurrect any of their designs, or those of Willson? I've always liked Wilson's F tubas.
Why resurrect a Willson design, when that company is alive and well?
ATschetter
bugler
bugler

Post by ATschetter »

The resurrection was more aimed at Hirsbrunner. I just like Wilson's designs enough that I wouldn't mind a similar affordable option.