Pickett Brass Mouthpieces?

The bulk of the musical talk
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Pickett Brass Mouthpieces?

Post by Michael Bush »

Linkage.

I just found them a few minutes ago by clicking a link on a band's web site. Never heard of them, myself. You?
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Pickett Brass Mouthpieces?

Post by MikeW »

Remarkably little information on their website.
The only table of mouthpieces in evidence lists a lot of pea-shooter stuff with tiny cups, presumably for trumpets only ?

Are they actually trying to sell tuba mouthpieces ?

Any idea what shank sizes are available ?
What's the ID of each model ?
What rim width and rim contour ?
Any info on throat-size and backbore ?

They mention a one piece mouthpiece. Does that mean the others have
threaded shanks and/or rims ?

EDIT: OTOH they don't mention anything in stainless steel, so thanks, but nothanks.
Last edited by MikeW on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

The link in my post goes to a page offering 6 tuba mouthpieces. Still, as you say, not as much information as we're used to seeing. I just thought it was interesting that someone has entered the high end (pricewise) of the market and TubeNet hadn't noticed.
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

Pickett is a big, up-and-coming maker in the trumpet world. He, Peter Pickett, boasts many top trumpeters among his clients including Doc Severinsen (from what I've heard Doc has many, many mouthpieces and is always interested in trying something new).

Pickett also acquired Blackburn trumpets, another big development in the trumpet world. If you don't know, Cliff Blackburn was/is a custom builder who had a shop in Decatur, TN, for many years. (He is my favorite builder.) Mr. Blackburn's trumpets are found in the hands of many top orchestral players.

I didn't even know they had tuba mouthpieces.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

I saw the tuba mouthpieces on his website. I understand he's a pretty good guy. The tuba mpc prices surprised me. With so much available cheaper, what's the advantage to these? I didn't see any dimensions at all and I wouldn't consider something like this without knowing more. No reviews here, no one saying they play 'em. I could get a custom setup from Elliott for this price, so I wonder what the attraction is...not against them, just sayin'
royjohn
bh2001
lurker
lurker

Post by bh2001 »

I got this reply when I requested info on their tuba line :

Our tuba line is relatively new, so the spec's are rather lacking on the website. Below is a breakdown of the details, the rim inner diameter is all relative to where the player feels the bite of the rim, so I just provided general measurements in "mm".

Pharoah - inner diameter = 34mm, round rim, funnel shape (Bb and C tuba)
Slew - , inner diameter = 33-34mm flatter rim than Pharoah, funnel shape (Bb and C tuba)
Admiral - inner diameter = 33mm, stronger bite, round rim, optimized backbore, more of a cup shape (Bb and C tuba)
Fox - inner diameter = 30mm ,smaller funnel shape (Eb and F tuba)
Fleet - inner diameter = 30mm, shallow cup not a funnel (Eb and F tuba)
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

They are carrying the line at Dillon, for anyone who wants to try them out.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Lukowicz
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Lukowicz »

The brass section of the Blue Knights have been using Pickett mouthpieces for the last 3 years. I helped design the tuba mouthpieces for them during that time. I do not know how the BK models compare to the standard line, we found that the mouthpieces we used during the 2016 and 2017 season to be a great fit on concert horns as well. When designing them, we tried to strive for a sound that would have the roundness and bottom in the sound to fill out the bass voice of a brass line without being too "woofy" or string bass like, and also the articulation clarity to match the upper voices in the brass section. Hope that helps
Tom Lukowicz
Principal Tuba, Canton Symphony Orchestra
Associate Professor of Low Brass, University of North Alabama
http://www.tuba-lessons.com
ufoneum
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ufoneum »

Peter Pickett is the maker that Potenza Music uses for the Mr. P line of Mouthpieces. We sourced Peter to do these for us after going several places and not liking the consistency issues. We also really liked the fact that Peter was interested in innovation and that one US-based company was supporting another US-based company. You can rest assured that if you wanted to try Peter's mouthpieces that they would be quality representations. I can't speak to his line of 5 mouthpieces that he has developed (cost $245) but the Potenza Music designs are fantastic.
Assistant Prof. of Music - Kentucky Wesleyan College (Owensboro, KY)
Buffet Crampon and Besson Performing Artist
Conductor, River Brass Band (Evansville, IN)
Treasurer, International Tuba Euphonium Association
facebook.com/stuckemeyer
patstuckemeyer.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bh2001 wrote:...the rim inner diameter is all relative to where the player feels the bite of the rim, so I just provided general measurements in "mm".
That's good to know, but makes those numbers kind of useless -- nobody else measures them like this, right?