What does your electrobrass rig look look like?

The bulk of the musical talk
tubaphillips
pro musician
pro musician

What does your electrobrass rig look look like?

Post by tubaphillips »

This thread is for posting pics and/or descriptions of your electrobrass rig. After a few years of experimentation my current setup is as follows.

SM98Wireless->BOSS GT-6B->Eventide mixing link->TC BG250

I'd be happy to answer any questions about my rig if you're interested
Harry Phillips
1954 Conn Naked Lady 20K
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Re: What does your electrobrass rig look look like?

Post by Ben »

I am DEEP in the experimentation stage. Here are some of my previous experiences:

1. In the '90s in college, I used a Barcus-Barry transducer mic drilled into my mouthpiece with preamp. This system picked up a bunch of valve clanking, and feedback was very bad when I wasn't performing with it. It lasted exactly 1 recital.

2. 10+ years ago I used an AT-35pro - clip on condenser mic: It had great sound, but had a directionality issue, as a quick tug on the mic cable could pull the microphone out optimal setup. I also tried this with a wireless setup, but the tech at the time had mediocre sound sound quality compared to the 35-pro. This is the setup I used years while performing with 3 bands in Indianapolis... The Tumbleweeds, Born Again Floozies, and Accidental Arrangements.

3. Recently, in NYC, I realized that performing on stage can be a challenge - not only due to the direction issue with the 35pro, but also dealing with multiple soundmen can be a challenge. Many don't quite understand how to address feedback issues, and end up just turning the tuba down, even if the problem isn't tuba related. Additionally, I began to get want to add other capabilities to my performance capabilities: volume control, octave doubling, even *gasp* overdrive distortion.

4. Current gear thoughts:
I own many microphones:
SM58 (great and low tech entry level stuff, has a bit of roll off in the low end.
Rode NT-2: large diaphram mic that is way to nice to bring out on gigs.
EV-RE20 -large diaphram dynamic mic. The sound is slightly better with the EV, and works amazing. I mount it to the horn with a Shu-composite mount. It inserts fairly deep, as it is a long microphone, and it is just great.

Preamp: Presonus Studiochanel - this is a rack mounted tube preamp, compressor, and parametric EQ in one. The compression helps even out the highs and lows in the sound, and the paraEQ can quickly address any runaway feedback caused by effects. For me, overdrive has a 105 Hz feedback loop. -3 to -6 dB fixes the issue.

Effects: I own 2 effects: a TC-electronics VoiceLive Touch2, and a Boss ME-20B. The VLT2 is a loop device with harmony function and a bunch of other really cool stuff. It has 1/4" and XLR inputs, but certain functions only work with XLR inputs, and its native EQ/compression needs to be turned off, as it is designed for voice. I use a stereo output from this device, a lead, and an FX send that I blend with a Boss LS-2 (2 channel mixer). The lead channel I send into the Boss ME-20B - with a volume/wah pedal with 8vb, overdrive/synth effect, and numerous delay effects. The Boss LS-2 is great to mix the two effects pedals, as some effects lack a nice wet/dry mix.

Amp: I had a few discussions with many fellow amped tubists. TubaJoe Exley gave some great advice to me, and I got a Gaillen-Krueger MB150/112S combo amp. Its small, light, sounds great, has versitle EQ, and a DI out. I hand off the DI to the soundman, and I have the peace of mind to adjust my own sound.

Power: I chose to get a Furman PL-Plus-C rack mounted power conditioner. I does a few things besides being a glorified surge protector/powerstrip. It removes line noise, transformer hum from powersources, and it regulates the input voltage to 120V. I can absolutely say that there is a difference without it in my NYC apartment. The power around here is NOISY.

That's about it. I am still experimenting with this setup. I feel that there is better "stuff" out there I could have employed... more up to date effects, loopers... I was tempted to go full out rack effects. It depends on your needs.

Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

Update: That diagram did not work terribly well... Here's a new schematic:

Tuba-->Mic-XLR-->Presonus 1/4out-->LS2 (A) thru-->Boss ME20B-->LS2 (B) Output 1/4"-->

the above gives me 90% of what I could ever want - using the LS2 as a wet/dry mixer, its output can 1 - go to AMP. Alternatively: 2- goto Voicelive Touch via use of a DI transformer - either highZ into the guitar in line, or into the microphone port. One could go total rogue, loop their bass tracks, and sing songs all night in one configuration of the VLT2, using 2 microphones.

That's the plan at least. Materials, and extra cables are on the way to test it out.
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
JDijkstra
lurker
lurker

Post by JDijkstra »

Hello,

During the summer I haven been experimenting with my old Mahillon 3+1 euphonium, a cheap cond. mic and my collection of pedals:
A Vox dynamic looper, an EHX 22500 looping pedal, a Boss Harmonist PS6, an EHX pitchfork and an EHX memory boy.
I have not found the ideal order but it gives me a lot of combinations. A PiezoBarrel is on my to-buy-list.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Jan Dijkstra
Jan Dijkstra
Uilleann Pipes
Mahillon Euphonium 1956
Lots of effect pedals.
JDijkstra
lurker
lurker

Post by JDijkstra »

Found a small cheap tuba, a samson s-phantom for my condensator mic an ordered a PiezoBarrel Brass from down under.......
This tuba: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83807.
I am still experimenting with the pitchfork and the harmonist.

Tuba > mic > s-phantom > vox dynamic looper > pitchfork or harmonist > EHX 22500 looper > amp

At the moment I use an older peavey TKO 80 (loud and heavey), looking for something smaller, any suggestions?
Jan Dijkstra
Uilleann Pipes
Mahillon Euphonium 1956
Lots of effect pedals.
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

I like my GK, its less than 30 lbs. It really depends on if you want to go cabinet and head, or combo.

Here are the pros for the GK I mentioned above:
small, light, rugged, can drive cabinets if necessary, line out capacity, DI out capacity, versatile tone control. There are a ton of good options out there. The price on my amp runs about 800.
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

Additional info:

Tuba>EV-RE20>Presonus Studiochanel>Options:

A) using wet dry mixing: LS2(mix mode for dry sound/effect loop to Boss ME-20B)>GK Amp
B) more volume control, no synthbass sound: Boss ME-20B>GK Amp
C) A/B and take output from effect>XLR converter>Passive DI for Hi-Z>Instrument in on Voice Live Touch2(vocal mic also attached)>GK Amp
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
JDijkstra
lurker
lurker

Post by JDijkstra »

Thanks, I used to have one the G&K combo's for my EUB.
Used a bicycle to go sessions and gigs with the G&K.....
Jan Dijkstra
Uilleann Pipes
Mahillon Euphonium 1956
Lots of effect pedals.
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

resurrecting this thread to show off my current rig..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK4x6DS9oxE

for the audio: Shure Beta 98H mic + RME Fireface 800 audio interface + Eventide H9000R multieffects processor. for the LEDs: Max/MSP

I'm using a Playstation controller as a MIDI controller via Max/MSP as well.
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

This is wild. How do you even start doing this?
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

So far:

Shure SM57>DTAR Solstice>MXR M87 Bass Compressor>MXR M82 Envelope Filter>Markbass SuperSynth>Donner Analog Delay>Boss 50L Volume>Caline CP-65 Overdrive>Hartke HC33 Chorus>Slow Hand Volume Swell>TC Hall of Fame Reverb>MXR M80 Preamp/Distortion>TC Ditto Looper>MarkBass Little Mark Tube

Obviously not a fan of multi-effects pedals. Mostly to have fun at home with; most gigs are straight ahead jazz or musical theater.
Nick
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

brendanige wrote:This is wild. How do you even start doing this?
Max/MSP is the best audio/visual prototyping software available, and it has tons of great tutorials online, but it was too intimidating for me to learn on my own, so I enrolled in Brooklyn College's Sonic Arts program to take a few semesters of lessons and classes for it. I also took some classes on recording, mixing, and building electronic music instruments, which helped a ton.
BopEuph wrote:So far:
noice. Is this video of yours using that rig? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxoOy19GmFY" target="_blank
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

jbaylies wrote:
BopEuph wrote:So far:
noice. Is this video of yours using that rig? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxoOy19GmFY" target="_blank" target="_blank
Yes, but it was just the DTAR, SuperSynth and Caline. Interesting note, George Clinton saw my Instagram post, and commented. Made my day.
Nick
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

My rig has changed since posting 3 years ago. Lots of it is simplifying, and figuring out how to setup and tear down on gig faster... Yep - that's the important bit.

I stand when playing whatever horn I bring the the gig: usually my Alexander 163. As with any standing gig - you move around a bit, to get out of the way of the trombonist, or to rock into the music - so a SHU base drum mount is critical to maintain the mic in place - it maintains a good gain, no valve noise, and you can orient yourself in a way that there is minimal to NO feedback from the monitors (again - good gain).

Mic - I've just used a cabinet mic. In conversations with Joe Exley (TubaJoe), he had mentioned he really liked it. The dude has GREAT ears, and he's dead on, about it. its about $100, doesn't need phantom power, sounds great.

I plug that into a HELIX board now days:
- the volume pedal on it is perhaps my favorite feature.
- It has a few good compressors on it that tweak the sound going into effects, I find having a compressor allows me to fatigue less on 4 hour sets, and I can control volume with the volume pedal, rather than honking louder, and dealing with attack/sustain volume differences when pushed hard. Everyone ELSE just cranks up... why work harder to sound ragged?
- the octave down is nearly lagless. this is often the ONLY effect I employ, and I use it in doubling mode, rather than a straight 8vb
- Distortion. I tend to use a Marshal amp emulator (45 Watts) for that classic rumble. It has a decent synthbass effect. It can fuzz you to a new dimension with the "Arbitrator" distortion mod. There's a million things here to play with
- You can flange, phase, echo, delay all night. I just don't need those effects. I keep a delay handy for weird solos...
- EASILY programable
- FYI - this is becoming old technology, and I am sure there are better integrated pedal boards around. I know a member on this board who was starting to develop a instrument specific board with a major corporation. He may talk.... who knows...

I run the XLR output from this into a QSC 1000 W K3 monitor. That's enough for most bar gigs with a band. It is a good sounding flat response monitor.

In the end, tear down is disconnect, put away the board, speaker, wrap cables, and slide the tuba into my case. The Shu mount can remain in the bell if you set it up right.

I ALWAYS carry just a XLR to 1/4" transducer in my gear just in case there aren't enough outlets. It'll get me through a gig where I just plug into the amp directly with no effects.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-vokits/morning-rituals" target="_blank
- a free improvisation
Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

Ben Vokits
Nautilus Brass Quintet
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

That's a pretty nice setup! Also, if it works, no reason to upgrade, unless there is some serious gains to be had from sound or functionality. When I see a lot of that stuff, my brain kinda goes nuts because I get lost imagining all of the possibilities for routing, layering, and ordering effects.

I don't use any electronics with my brass, but I do use it with my electric bass. Sadly all old school pedals, as again, brain gets lost in the possibilities. For that, the flow is:

Polytune Tuner
ISP Decimator Noise Reducer
Aguilar Octamizer
Boss Bass Overdrive
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Boss Bass Chorus
MXR Bass Compressor

I run these into a Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver DI, but it's really intended for Electric bass, so I don't know if it would work for tuba.

I wonder how things will change once they develop the "turn anything into a midi controller" software. They've had guitar hexaphonic pickups to MIDI for years, and I know there was a kickstarter for a Voice Input Microphone Midi Controller. So, it can't be that far off. Tuba as a MIDI controller.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

tbonesullivan wrote:I wonder how things will change once they develop the "turn anything into a midi controller" software. They've had guitar hexaphonic pickups to MIDI for years, and I know there was a kickstarter for a Voice Input Microphone Midi Controller. So, it can't be that far off. Tuba as a MIDI controller.
For the record, I split the responses to this line of thought into a separate thread titled "tuba as a MIDI controller".