lurker
lurker

U.S. Navy Fleet Bands Tuba Position

Post by alexivy2004 »

U.S. Navy Fleet Bands
TUBA AUDITION - December 9, 2017 - Materials due December 1, 2017
(Four vacancies)

Audition Location: Millington, TN

Musically qualified applicants will be assigned to one of nine Fleet Bands: San Diego, CA – Silverdale, WA – Great Lakes, IL – Newport, RI – Norfolk, VA – Jacksonville, FL – Yokosuka, Japan – Naples, Italy – Honolulu, HI
***Winners can opt to sign a contract and then wait until graduation in 2018.***

(Materials) Please send your résumé and applicant fact sheet to: Mill_NavyMusic@navy.mil" target="_blank

Student Loan Repayment Program ($65K), Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, military pay, housing allowance, medical benefits and more!
Please call the Audition Supervisor for more information: 901-874-4316

Follow the link below for specific audition information and excerpts:
https://auditioncafe.com/wp-content/upl ... IMIZED.pdf" target="_blank
alexivy2004
lurker
lurker

Re: U.S. Navy Fleet Bands Tuba Position

Post by alexivy2004 »

(I wanted to share my personal thoughts after posting the announcement.)
All,

I have been a tuba player with U.S. Navy Fleet Bands for 9 years (13 years total military, because I got out of the Navy and did TX ANG Band, then came back in).

It has been extremely rewarding, has paid well for me to support my wife and 3 daughters, and I have had an excellent time performing music for a living. I have worked in TN, Japan, and Hawaii.

My current position (for another year and some change) is as the U.S. Navy Fleet Bands' Public Affairs Officer in Millington, TN at our program management office. I run our Facebook page, U.S. Navy Fleet Band Activities, where you can find all nine bands hyperlinked in the top post.

If you would like to talk to me about what it is like to be a tuba player for U.S. Navy Fleet Bands, I would love to share with you. We are changing the way we do auditions! This is the second open call audition we are doing for the program (flute audition is Nov 4th). Historically, we have done auditions by appointment, but we are changing that to hold auditions on a specific date.

Military pay and benefits are very good (in my opinion)! If you don't fully understand how Navy music works and how we are paid as active-duty, please call and ask....get informed! You can also find all the information about military pay online. https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/pa ... harts.html" target="_blank

I'd be happy to share with you how much you would make and how it is determined. We have 4 vacancies! Private message me if you want to talk or call our audition supervisor (901-874-4316). Thanks everyone, and good luck!
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

Greetings all! I would like to add my own perspective on this upcoming audition. I have been a part of the Navy Music Program for a little over five years. I have been assigned to the bands in Great Lakes, IL, and now currently Honolulu, HI. This audition is a great opportunity to get paid to play, but the military certainly isn't for everyone. I'd like to invite anyone considering auditioning to send me a PM or email at chris.bettler8822@gmail.com" target="_blank, and I'd be happy to give you some insight into my experience, pros and cons, as well as answer any questions you may have.

Chris Bettler
Chris Bettler
Tuba Instrumentalist, US Navy Music Program
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

Chris,

Say hi to Sandy Herrera for me, she's a clarinetist friend of mine from graduate school. Small world!
tubazach07

Post by tubazach07 »

I have been in the Navy Fleet Bands for 8 years and some change and would like to add onto this. Alex is a great guy and I have worked with him in Hawaii. I have been stationed in Japan, Hawaii, and am currently in Jacksonville, Fl. It really is a great gig. I have traveled all over the South Pacific and played for kings, queens, princesses, ambassadors, presidents etc. I have played in villages that have never seen a tuba or sousaphone before. I have played on stages with a rock band and brass band for thousands of people.

Being a Navy musician is what you make of it. In my spare time I work on tubas, study with James Jenkins of the Jacksonville Symphony and I also sub for the symphony and teach privately. When I lived in Japan I took martial arts and also taught tuba. In Hawaii I continued to take martial arts and teach tuba. Yes you will have to play brass band sousaphone. That doesn’t mean you will loose your classical chops. I come into work an hour before I am due and make sure I get a good warm up and I go over fundamentals. When I was on a ship in the middle of the pacific I made sure I practiced my fundamentals and played duets with my fellow musicians. Stop wasting your money and do what you have always wanted to do. Play tuba for a living.
goldenmoose
bugler
bugler

Post by goldenmoose »

Current Navy tuba player here. I'd also be more than happy to give you some insight and perspective. Feel free to PM me and I'll answer any questions you have. Good luck!!
alexivy2004
lurker
lurker

Post by alexivy2004 »

Good luck, safe travels and best wishes to all applicants who are coming out to Millington, TN to audition for U.S. Navy Fleet Bands December 9th!

Musician 1st Class Alex Ivy
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

One of my students was selected for this! Very proud of him!
Assistant Professor of Low Brass
University of Wisconsin - Platteville
B&S Tuba Artist/Clinician