2 month Old Schiller Elite Euphonium - $675

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
euphdude
bugler
bugler

2 month Old Schiller Elite Euphonium - $675

Post by euphdude »

Hey Guys - Since I got this horn in early August this year (2017), I have been amazed at how far Schiller and the Chinese manufacturers have come since they first started making these instruments in 2008. As I've written previously, it is apparent that they have worked out nearly all of the physical quality issues that I outline here very clearly.

To me, this is what the old Yamaha 642 (not the Neo) should be. Yes, I think this 2017 Schiller is a better overall horn than the original 642 because it is more noticeably more free blowing and yet it retains the same big dark sound that the old 642 was known for. I've written about my impressions of how this horn compares in dimensions to the newer model Yamaha 642 Neo. I've also written in the past about how I feel in love with the Neo after playing a bunch of the other premium horns at the Army conference a couple of years ago....it has such a sweet smooth sound that is the most coherent across the range that I've ever played. My most recent comparison with a new Neo at Chuck Levin's only reinforces that. Consequently I'm having discussions with quinntheeskimo on ebay about a couple of very lightly used lacquer 642 Neo euphs he has there. And I will need to sell this to have enough funds to complete the deal.

This Schiller really is a great instrument and it is actually much more free blowing than the Neo, just like it was with the old YEP-642. It is two months old, and has no dents, dings, etc. Aside from the valves, which are now much faster and smoother than they were when I first got it, you would be hard pressed to say this wasn't a brand new horn. The finish is the best that I've seen on any other Chinese made euphonium, although I would argue it still isn't quite up to the mirror like finish that you see on the best Yamahas, Bessons, etc. when they are new...but those are premium instruments with a premium price. Mechanically it is perfect....as I said in my initial review I haven't felt the need to immediately replace the springs unlike every other Chinese euphonium I've owned....although if I were to keep this, I might replace the 4th valve spring as it does have a tendancy to make spring noise if you don't get it seated just right. I'm also including a Wessex water gutter...your choice about whether to leave it on or not...I've decided it isn't it worth it for what I do, but everyone is different. The horn has been meticulously cared for, was never played outside, and was used in one indoors concert.

All can be yours for $675 plus $25 shipping. It also includes the standard mouthpiece and case. If you are within reasonable driving distance of the DC area, I'm willing to take an additional $25 off and can meet you somewhere for hand delivery. These are now priced as low as $885 on ebay (although you can get a ~5% discount with the make offer button with this seller) so this should represent a good savings. Plus this includes a water catcher/gutter that is NOT included as standard equipment with the standard Schiller...it is included with the Wessex, but those horns are priced double of what I'm charging. All in all this is an excellent instrument, regardless of the price, but I've got my dream horn within my reach, and I'm going to try to go for it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. I've tried a bunch of mouthpieces with this and have settled on what I've found to be the best for this horn, the Alliance DC2. I've also tried out the G&W Carbonaria, Wick SM3, and Doug Elliott 104/J/J9. Each worked well, with each having their own strengths and weaknesses. None of these mouthpieces are included with the deal, BTW, but I am including the one that was came with the instrument.

I could only figure out how to attach one photo but I have several more...PM me if interested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
euphdude
bugler
bugler

Re: 2 month Old Schiller Elite Euphonium - $675

Post by euphdude »

Here is a link with more pictures:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread ... ejirVuPJhE" target="_blank

And here is a link of my review of the horn when I first got it in early August:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread ... eji-luPJhE" target="_blank
euphdude
bugler
bugler

Post by euphdude »

Sale pending
PhilR
lurker
lurker

Post by PhilR »

Hi there. If the sale doesn't go through, please let me know.