Sold

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Matt Ransom
pro musician
pro musician

Sold

Post by Matt Ransom »

Last edited by Matt Ransom on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: Alexander BBb

Post by Tabor »

Email sent
Tubas
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: Alexander BBb - On Hold

Post by Heavy_Metal »

This looks a LOT like my Alex. Once everything's fixed it should be an excellent player.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

I am looking forward to seeing this, but eek that leadpipe.
Tubas
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

what is so bad about the leadpipe? not bashed badly, maybe the scuzzy part near receiver is rotted out?
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

TheGoyWonder wrote:what is so bad about the leadpipe? not bashed badly, maybe the scuzzy part near receiver is rotted out?
There are several dented areas (one pretty bad one) and at least 2 patches on it if you look closely at it... the nickel/silver plating makes it fairly difficult to see in the pictures.

Might be a project, but might be one worthwhile :D
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

patches or just section connectors? would be more worried about top bow, and why do all the tuning slides look extendered.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

TheGoyWonder wrote:patches or just section connectors? would be more worried about top bow, and why do all the tuning slides look extendered.
That is a good question about the slide lengths. I thought that it was perhaps going to be cut to CC at some point and then put back, but the long ferrule length seems to my eye fairly even from circuit to circuit, rather than the differing lengths that it would take. Then I thought that maybe Alexander just did it that way, but it doesn't look like other Alexander stuff I've seen, so I don't think so and it is a bit of a puzzler. Looking at the Alex BBb in the Simonetti collection, the slide lengths appear to be the same, but the ferrules in the slides longer, except for the 4th circuit which looks like it might be an inch or so shorter in relation to the other branches, if that isn't just an optical illusion. Once the typical stuff that impede how a horn plays have been gone over, perhaps I'll be able to get an idea of what is going on there and figure out if anything needs to be done about it or not.

The big dents in the top bow don't worry me. It can't be worse than straightening out this bell was:

Before:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151569242 ... ateposted/

After:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151569242 ... ateposted/
Tubas
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

"Low pitch" vs. "High pitch"?
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Heavy_Metal wrote:"Low pitch" vs. "High pitch"?
I don't think all the ferrules would be like that on a "low pitch". Just the main slide.

This horn arrived today. I took it out of the box and held my Euro shank mouthpiece in the receiver (the shank is way too small of course) and gave it a toot. It is actually not too bad. It needs some adjustment and service, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought the ferrules could possibly be a factory job, or someone who did a nice job, but after getting it cleaned up, I can see that it is a modification. The good thing about them being long is that if it plays in tune, that is great. If it is flat, there is plenty of material that can come off.
Tubas
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: Alexander BBb - Sold

Post by Heavy_Metal »

How's the valve compression?
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: Alexander BBb - Sold

Post by Tabor »

Heavy_Metal wrote:How's the valve compression?
Didn't check & away from it now. It seemed more out of alignment than leaky. I think the standard old rotor horn service will work wonders.
Tubas