Ouvertüre zur Oper,, Die diebische Elster" anyone played...

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Ouvertüre zur Oper,, Die diebische Elster" anyone played...

Post by DouglasJB »

Ouvertüre zur Oper,, Die diebische Elster" anyone played the tuba part to this piece? It was just handed out in orchestra and I am not entirely familiar with it.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Ouvertüre zur Oper,, Die diebische Elster" anyone played

Post by DouglasJB »

Thanks Joe
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

Just a quick add here to add to what Bloke says. There are two editions of this overture - the original has three trombones and no tuba, but there's a second edition with altered orchestration where there's one trombone and one tuba. In my personal opinion the first of those two is far superior, and not just down to the low brass writing, but the second one does seem to get airtime as well, also with 'big name' orchestras and conductors. Someone else might be aware of the history of this and why there are two editions?

Ola
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I heard this work about three weeks ago, played by the excellent Contra Costa Chamber Orchestra in Walnut Creek CA. A tuba was used in the performance. Fortunately, the guy was a great player with good articulation and intonation. But, he was using what appeared to be at least a 4/4 tuba with a high bell-stack which, because of his seating position, was pointed toward the audience. It came across as much too loud even though the player was a refined musician who would never show off by over blowing. I think Rossini did not have in mind such a big, loud instrument. In fact, as far as I'm aware, there were no tubas in Rossini's day. The original for just trombones would have been the way to go.

Ace
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

As far as I'm aware this is written for 3 trombones and tuba (we have not rehearsed it yet) would it be better to play this on a 6/4 CC or a 4/4 Eb?
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

The original is written for ONE (1) trombone:

https://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/0/0b/IMS ... en_rsl.pdf

This page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/La_gazza_ladra_(R ... ioacchino)

has parts for the original as well as for the bloated editions.

Klaus
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Last concert the only piece I was on was New World, going to be nice to play more than 14 notes. Besides if the director (University Symphony Orchestra) passes out the part, he wants it played