LA. Tuba community.

The bulk of the musical talk
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

LA. Tuba community.

Post by Salazarsam33 »

Hey guys,
Just moved back to the states to start school again, I'm up in the LA area revalida ting and taking some requisite clases for a masters program. Is there a way or a group of tuba players I can contact from the LA area, I know there are many great events that I happen to miss (recitals, master classes) because I am not in the loop.
If anybody can point me in the right direction, or in the direction of teachers around here at the many nice colleges please let me know.

Many thanks!
Wisemann C
BMB F
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: LA. Tuba community.

Post by Wes Krygsman »

There are a bunch of people to look up.

Scott Sutherland, Beth Chouinard Mitchell, John Van Houten, are names that come to mind in the LA area. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others.

All are connected to colleges that have those events you mention. Heck, take lessons with all of them and find the best fit for your needs as a player.

I'm sure there are many others as well that you should get to know, but these are a great place to start.

Every summer the Pokorny seminar is at the University of Redlands where Scott teaches, and it's an amazing experience I've had twice. I highly recommend this beginning of summer intensive week.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb