Diameter MAW valves?

The bulk of the musical talk
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Diameter MAW valves?

Post by hubert »

Would be grateful to be informed about the exact diameter of the standard MAW valves for the big valve instruments of B&S/MeinlWeston.
Thanks a lot, if someone would be so kind to take measurements or could indicate, where to look for it.
Hubert
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Diameter MAW valves?

Post by Ken Crawford »

His PT6P valves are 1.13 inches.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best,
Hubert
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

bloke wrote:makes sense...comes out to an even 1/10 of a mm
Or .142796 links...
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

FYI: today my repairman informed me, that Meinlschmidt can supply MAW-valves with somewhat oversized diameter. For my Wisemann I would need 28,89 mm instead of the standard 28.7 mm (=1.13 inches).
Hubert
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

hubert wrote:FYI: today my repairman informed me, that Meinlschmidt can supply MAW-valves with somewhat oversized diameter. For my Wisemann I would need 28,89 mm instead of the standard 28.7 mm (=1.13 inches).
Hubert
:tuba:
Last edited by Ken Crawford on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

I've wondered how the MAW valves are fit to a particular horn. Do the pistons need to have the final fitting made by a tech? "Proper fitting" is with a clearance of .0005-.00075 in. Can pistons come in the mail and be within that tolerance in a casing the manufacturer hasn't seen and measured?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

The Big Ben wrote:I've wondered how the MAW valves are fit to a particular horn. Do the pistons need to have the final fitting made by a tech? "Proper fitting" is with a clearance of .0005-.00075 in. Can pistons come in the mail and be within that tolerance in a casing the manufacturer hasn't seen and measured?
Ideally they should come in the mail and be over-sized so that they require fitting. The MAW valves I received for a King 1241 were this way. If they showed up and fell right in with no resistance, I'd be concerned.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Kmorgancraw is right, that is also the information I have got from other sources: delivered oversized, then handlapped to exact fit.
Hubert
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Thank you! I've read posts that say "they drop right in". I have had valves refit to the .0005 standard in my tuba and I couldn't see how the MAW valves would work without final hand fitting. Martin can make magic but I don't think *that* much magic.
Last edited by The Big Ben on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

For me as a Wisemann owner it was important to discover that the diameter of the Wisemann valves is not as consistent as that of the B&S/MW-valves (see earlier posts about this subject and e.g. the experience of Bloke with Wisemann tubas). Sometimes standard MWA valves ar OK for the Wisemann, but rather often the Wisemann valves seem to be so much wider than the B&S/MW/standard MAW valves, that standard MAWvalves (even with a bit oversize) wobble in the cases and thus in fact do not fit. As far as I was informed, MAW valves are normally being made at B&S/MW diameter of 1.13 inches or 28.7 mm or very, very close to that (because of reasons explained elsewhere in this post). Now I was informed, that Meinlschmidt accepts orders for valves with considerably more than normal "oversize", which is the case with my Wisemann. This tuba has a valve diameter of 28,89 mm, which is almost 0,2 mm more than the standard B&S valve and thus is a huge difference. That is what I wanted to share, because it perhaps can be useful for some owners of Wisemann tubas (and some others?).
Best,
Hubert