Cleaning Rotary Valves

The bulk of the musical talk
Tuba5547
lurker
lurker

Cleaning Rotary Valves

Post by Tuba5547 »

Tips on cleaning Rotary valves on my Cerveny CBB 686-4 Series 4-Valve 4/4 BBb Tuba My 2nd valve locks up once in while.

Thanks!!!!---Tom Barlow
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Cleanig Rotary Valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

It's a little bit more involved than cleaning a piston valve, but not by much. YouTube has plenty of videos explaining how to do it. You'll need a soft hammer, preferably rawhide. I would also suggest using regular blue Dawn dish soap. It is gentle and a great degreaser.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

I have often used CLR for cleaning valves - rotary and piston, including casings - with very good results. It can be diluted with water and gets quick results. Keep an eye on things and rinse well with water in the end. It works well as a mild bright dip for old badly tarnished parts. I have also used it for removing tarnish from silver plated instruments. I have never struck problems and it is much faster than vinegar. YMMV.
Free to tuba: good home
DrewMa
lurker
lurker

Post by DrewMa »

If you Google “Jeff Funderburk tuba maintenance” you’ll find all the info you’ll need to maintain rotary valves. There are 14 videos he posted to YouTube and the information is solid. These were referenced in a thread a few years ago as well:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44320" target="_blank

Thanks,
Drew
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

I would suspect that using a reactive container such as an aluminum pan could cause problems with a galvanic reaction being set up. I have cleaned complete instruments in dilute solutions in bath tubs. Result, clean inside and de-tarnished on the outside. I always degreased things first. When you don't have a well equipped workshop it is handy to be able to do a reasonable "chem clean" with a relatively safe and inexpensive pruduct.
Free to tuba: good home
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Often, when cleaning my rotars, I see lime deposits exactly in the spindle area which I've been oiling all those months before cleaning.
And I am in no way too stingy to oil my axe.
Which leads me to wonder, why do I oil it at all if the oil isn't reaching the place I want the oil to reach?
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

In the past, I have soaked old rotary valves in white vinegar and had them come out as shiny as new valves. I have, as some above described, degreased an horn and poured white vinegar in it to get rid of corrosion. Both have to be monitored, it is possible to damage a horn this way.

Your instrument will also smell like vinegar for several weeks. Makes you want to eat salad.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

if you have hard water make sure you use water that has gone thru the softener...usually the shower, or fill a bucket at the laundry attachment if you have to.
I wonder if drinking hard water makes your spit more likely to form scale...probably.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Will running soap and warm water through the lead pipe and wiggling the valves clean them very well?
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Re: Cleaning Rotary Valves

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

In the late 70s Ren. Schilke toured the UK with Yamaha. That's where I first heard about oiling through the receiver. so that you keep an oil layer through the instrument. I also heard Gerhard Meinl talk about doing the same with rotary valve tubas. This is a preventative that can slow the formation of lime. It also helps a little with stopping food from sticking!
I'd suggest take it to a good repair shop and get the lime removed properly. But then prevention being the way forward.
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
zmann67
bugler
bugler

Post by zmann67 »

PT6
PT16
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Running high-velocity hot water
Brings back a memory. I had the use of a school owned instrument for a summer long playing job when I was 21. The horn smelled really bad and I was playing it all day every day. It was back before I knew squat about cleaning a horn, and the budget was zero. There was a dormitory folklore about how to clean, and the idea was that shampoo was the thing you owned already that could cut grease in an emergency.

I loaded up a bucket with hot water and a good deal of Herbal Essence (very trendy at the time), and poured it into the bell. I turned the horn over and over until that water made it to the receiver. The stuff that came out of the receiver would have made Stephen Spielberg proud. The pressure is quite good doing it that way, and the smell was gone forever. The horn smelled sweet too, Herbal Essence all day long.
MORE AIR
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

Miraphone used to recommend Ivory Snow detergent. It's the stuff they used to use for washing diapers.
Since nobody washes diapers any more, I thought the stuff had been discontinued, but I found some at a store last year.

It works great, but everything needs to soak for about an hour... then those nasty blobs start to appear.

The stuff is really soft, flakey, and smells good. It will not, however help you play soft or not stink when you play... that's what practice is for.
sorry, I don't do signatures.