Just did a T&E video on the new Eastman EBC836

The bulk of the musical talk
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Just did a T&E video on the new Eastman EBC836

Post by Chris Olka »

Hey guys, this horn has created quite a buzz at Midwest and I got to try it yesterday. Thought I’d kick off my new video series with this one!

Hope you enjoy and Happy New Year!
https://youtu.be/BpFDiwyy25U" target="_blank
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Just did a T&E video on the new Eastman EBC836

Post by Billy M. »

Said this on facebook: I'm not a 6/4 type of guy but with the success of the 4/4 and how he sounds and the looks of this horn... I think I might change my mind on that.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Sounds great!
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Sounds great. Just imagine how much better a silver one sounds! :tuba:

But on a serious note, I think many folks are going to buy a 6/4 (because they can now afford it) and learn that they don't necessarily love playing one. That they don't necessarily love the results in the hall. That a 6/4 doesn't do well in an orchestral setting if you're sitting next to a lackluster trombone section. If you're mouth is watering and you think you want to dive into BAT playing, approach with caution.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

kmorgancraw wrote: But on a serious note, I think many folks are going to buy a 6/4 (because they can now afford it) and learn that they don't necessarily love playing one. That they don't necessarily love the results in the hall. That a 6/4 doesn't do well in an orchestral setting if you're sitting next to a lackluster trombone section. If you're mouth is watering and you think you want to dive into BAT playing, approach with caution.
Totally agree. Maybe there will be a good second-hand market for these instruments in the not too distant future after they figure it out.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I can wait, one day I want to replace the Cerveny in my signature, but as pointed out above, I'll wait for a used one.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Looking forward to the series Chris, thanks!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote: I'd love to see a Eastman/Wessex Shootout in the future
I am sure there will be chance to make side by side comparison at the Army Conference, TMEA and a number of other events in the next year.

Any pro who wants to do side by side shoot out, contact me for use of the Wessex. I would be quite happy to put the new TC694 Chicago-Presence [1] or TC695 Chicago-York up for comparison against anything.
bloke wrote:There will always be a market for (bad/mediocre/OK/good) oversize tubas, whether-or-not they are appropriate for any musical genre or composition in particular.
If 6/4 tubas work in the orchestra depends on the strength of the ensemble, the music played and venue being used for performance.

However in a concert band of larger size, nothing else can provides the bass foundation of a 6/4. Multiple smaller tubas just do not provide the same broad foundation. I have heard that on a number of occasions.

[1] On a personal note, I could not believe how much more responsive is the new Chicago-Presence against my once beloved Neptune
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Wyvern wrote:However in a concert band of larger size, nothing else can provides the bass foundation of a 6/4. Multiple smaller tubas just do not provide the same broad foundation. I have heard that on a number of occasions.

+1, especially if the number of basses is limited (I believe this to be the 6/4's original raison d'être)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Cool video.

Is it weird that this makes me want to pick up a 2165, instead of something new?