Former Tuba Teacher Wright State(Dayton) in NY Times 1/2

The bulk of the musical talk
alexwill
4 valves
4 valves

Former Tuba Teacher Wright State(Dayton) in NY Times 1/2

Post by alexwill »

Mentioned but not by name in the first paragraph and again in the last three paragraphs........The horn teacher who was let go is mentioned by name in the article in the final paragraphs. He is Jonas Thoms.

The story is about the drop in international students causing budgets to be cut at universities.
(hopefully it won't be blocked for you.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/us/i ... -drop.html" target="_blank
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Former Tuba Teacher Wright State(Dayton) in NY Times 1/2

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:politics
Agreed
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

People ask me if I want to be a professor after I get my degree (non-music PhD). No way. Perhaps I could be talked into teaching one class on the side, but definitely not as a profession.
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

Sure, there is some political spin to this, but the facts are the facts: enrollment (for a plethora of reasons) at many institutions are down significantly. Additionally, there is a growing trend in the low brass world to make applied teaching positions adjunct, unless the person can do other things for the department and/or university. There are many examples of places that used to be full-time, tenure-track positions now becoming part-time, and the studios that some great teachers have created are no longer.

For those in the process of, or considering to get a doctorate in music, learn how to do more than just play and teach low brass instruments. Be able and willing to take on other courses, and do a good job with it. Make Music Appreciation encourage people to listen to music, teach theory, sightsinging, or other things. If you're not willing to do that, there is someone out there that is willing, and will get hired.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

alexwill wrote:Mentioned but not by name in the first paragraph and again in the last three paragraphs........
I stopped reading after the sixth paragraph... :roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:People ask me if I want to be a professor after I get my degree (non-music PhD). No way. Perhaps I could be talked into teaching one class on the side, but definitely not as a profession.
No one wants to become the next Oleomargarine of the campus scene!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Slamson
bugler
bugler

Post by Slamson »

It's times like these that I start to feel like a dinosaur.
Right now, where I teach, we are filling applied tenure-track positions in horn, oboe, theory/comp, choir, and bassoon. I am amazed that the university authorized these positions to be filled for tenure track! The standard reasoning is that out here in what is fondly referred to as "Forgottonia", that no one would be willing to serve as an adjunct instructor for these positions.

Which, of course, to anyone who has been pursuing a teaching job in music for the last 20 years or so, is "baloney", but I'll never tell these bozos. Our bass position is still a "lecturer", but at least it is full-time. When it was part-time we had people commute over 200 miles one-way for the chance to teach here.

As a profession, we are victims of our own success. We've aspired to accelerate the quality of artistry, and evangelize our art to more and more students. We inspire with our teaching and playing. We romanticize the profession as a series of aesthetic rewards. And after all these years, I still believe it all. There's no crime in what we have done, but it breaks my heart to realize how many players will never realize their dream of playing the tuba as their primary means of living.

Administratively, more and more institutions will be shifting their applied faculty from tenure-track to adjunct in order to save money. The old argument that the best talent won't teach adjunct has already been disproved in major metro areas, and those institutions in the "hinterlands" are starting to figure out that there is such an overabundance of talent out there that "supply and demand" means they can demand most anything from the supply. I served on our horn search committee and fielded upwards of 70 applicants for the position, all of which were required to have a DMA. All of them had studied with great teachers. All had great resumes, teaching experience, playing experience. many were teaching as adjuncts, some commuting hundreds of miles for the opportunity. Some were seeing their positions being eliminated, others were hoping to live at least a semi-normal life. At the same time there were two other institutions looking for a tenure-track hornist, too. So three openings for 70 applicants? And as many of you know, the outlook for tuba positions is even worse.

I've stopped assuring my students that there is a playing/teaching job waiting for them out there. I don't feel comfortable directing them to the military any more without a lot of skepticism, after a couple of students wound up with less-than-happy experiences. Instead I ask them to build in a backup plan, much like lots of schools have done for years, except not just in Music Education. Music Business has become an option. So has technology. In fact, I don't see how a performance major can hope to survive any more just by being a great player. Everybody needs another pistol on their gunbelt.
sorry, I don't do signatures.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Why is there any surprise? Limiting the topic to the two positions mentioned here, a tuba or horn major from a small public university has less chance of professional playing than one of their basketball players does making the NBA. but, they don't eliminate basketball from the school. And how much does the basketball program cost them per year?

I also note the apparent continuation of the women's tennis team, men's ice hockey team and a dozen others, despite the costs and the apparent lack of national success. But they cut the tuba and horn teachers to save money. I'm laughing as I cry here.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Alex C wrote:Why is there any surprise? Limiting the topic to the two positions mentioned here, a tuba or horn major from a small public university has less chance of professional playing than one of their basketball players does making the NBA. but, they don't eliminate basketball from the school. And how much does the basketball program cost them per year?

I also note the apparent continuation of the women's tennis team, men's ice hockey team and a dozen others, despite the costs and the apparent lack of national success. But they cut the tuba and horn teachers to save money. I'm laughing as I cry here.
+1
If music got just a fraction of support sports gets in this country, this wouldn't even be an issue. Culture and demographics are a big part of it.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Music gets plenty of support in this country. It just isn’t the type of music you agree with!!