Gronitz PCM opinions

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Gronitz PCM opinions

Post by bort »

That Gronitz PCM at Horn Guys has been staring at me for quite a while now. Anyone willing to share some opinions with me (here, or privately)?

Is it at all like a smaller PCK?
Good/bad compared to other tubas of similar prices?
Intonation?
How focused is the sound?

I know I asked a few people about this tuba a little while ago... curious to hear if anyone else has opinions, or has played this exact tuba at HG.

Thanks! :tuba:
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Re: Gronitz PCM opinions

Post by Mark Horne »

I played this exact tuba at the Horn Guys last month, although it was only for a few minutes. Build quality seems excellent as you would expect - the pistons didn't feel as quick as those on my PCK but I use Yamaha euphonium springs to lighten the action. I did notice that the low G was very solid and projected with good volume. I didn't put it up against a tuner, but I didn't notice any pitches that seemed out of place (the intonation on the PCK is excellent). Size wise I would say it is on the plus side of the 4/4 equation not unlike a Miraphone 1291 in that regard. Given a choice I would likely pick the PCM over a 1291 (a great all-round tuba in its own right), but is it worth an extra couple of grand or so? Tough choice...
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Buy a 91B. The valves are way lighter then the 1291 valves.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks everyone for the public and private replies. Wish that I was closer and could give it a try, but the information I've gotten has been helpful.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Casca Grossa wrote:Miraphone 188
And yes, I love the 188. Always an option for me, just want to *gasp* consider some piston tubas as well, and the Gronitz is beautiful and unique. So, we'll see.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

In my experience these horns can play beautifully and effortlessly.

Observations:
More so than for other piston tubas, IF the valve alignment isn't spot on on a Gronitz the response can change for the worse quite dramatically. 2+3 combinations in particular can become rather treacherous.

ALSO, these horns are made of much thinner brass and more lightly braced than most. Plan to treat this horn with care.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I bought my PF125 from the Horn Guys after reading rave reviews here from people who had stopped by to play it. Steve and Robert were terrific with the transaction in every regard. Those guys fly under the radar, or at least it seems that way to me, but they are really top notch. I'm sure you'd get an honest assessment from them if you inquired.

Sorry to say I've never played a PCM, but if it plays like the PCKs or PF125s that I've played, I'm sure it's a fine instrument.

Just don't skimp on the gig bag.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I played a PCM back in the days when Tony Clements was repping Gronitz tubas. I thought it was excellent and liked it better than the behemoth PCK (which is an ergonomic nightmare for me - I'd have to use a stand). The horn fit me quite comfortably. I thought the 'scale' seemed real good on it and it sounded (and felt) very even from bottom to top. It struck me as a lot of bang for the buck. I wouldn't kick a PCM out of bed. Hope this helps.

By the way, if happen to play the B&S MRP CC tuba that's at the Horn Guys, would you mind shooting me a brief e-mail of your thoughts?: barrygrrr@yahoo.com" target="_blank"

. . . or just as good, could you post your impressions here. Thanks in advance (I'm also real curious about the Cerveny cimbasso)