Looiking for a smaller mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
KKORO
bugler
bugler

Looiking for a smaller mouthpiece

Post by KKORO »

I'm mainly a euphonium/baritone player. A year ago I bought an old beat up 3/4 King 1135 to learn the tuba. It came with a Bach 18 mouthpiece. After a year, the Bach still feels too big to me. I'd like suggestions for a smaller mouthpiece.

If it makes any difference, I use a G&W Kadja on my euph. and I'll be playing all sorts of music in my hometown community band.

Thanks for any help.

KKORO
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Looiking for a smaller mouthpiece

Post by toobagrowl »

Maybe try a Bach 22 or equivalent. With Bach mpcs, the higher the number the smaller the mpc.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It looks to me like it's a lot easier to find an inexpensive copy of the 25, than the 22. I've never tried either, but I have a couple of mouthpieces that are as small diameter as the 25 is supposed to be, or smaller, and they're legit - you can make plenty of tuba noise with a 30.x mm diameter mouthpiece.

For published dimensions of many mouthpieces: Tuba Mouthpiece Guide.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Kelly makes plastic versions you can try without breaking the bank.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The 25 is available for $17 + shipping

So are the 18 and the Kellyberg if you don't mind the color.

https://kellymouthpieces.com/kellyskloset/index.asp" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Yes. The 25. I have a friend who is primarily a bone player, but in the last few years has had more and more gigs on tuba (including borrowing mine). He plays a 25, and sounds great on it (even if it is my tuba).
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Another mouthpiece you could try is a Yamaha 67c4 or Yamaha 66. They are inexpensive and not overly big. They also have a much more comfortable rim than Bach mouthpieces (at least to me). The Bobo Symphonic replica would also be a good idea to check into-- the mouthpiece is not really big compared to others but not small either ( use large equipment and used it on F tuba to open it up before switching to my current mouthpiece). Hope this helps!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I saw the Kelly 25 was in wedding white....with a silver instrument, that actually blends in really well. It is one of the much less obnoxious colors Kelly offers. I have a black 12C for my P-bone which is red and black, and it blends well. I use a white 5G on my silver euph. I'm not sure why they seem to focus on weird colors; I think they thought / think their market is kids, and while it's a great idea for kids to use a plastic mpc (does not dent the bell very much when dropped, nor does it dent itself) I don't get why they don't emphasize / develop colors that serious amateurs would use.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Glitter Gold works well with lacquer.

So I was told.

By a friend. :oops:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Uh, I'll have to ask my friend and get back to you...
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

My "friend" said they will have to know your hair and eye color, height, weight and astrological sign to give any meaningful reply. :roll:

So I asked the Magic Eight Ball instead.

"Signs point to YES!!"

:tuba:
KKORO
bugler
bugler

Post by KKORO »

Thanks all for the suggestions and humor. I bought a 22. If that doesn't work, I'll try the 24AW. It took 7 tries before I settled on the Kadja for my euphonium, so I may have a way to go with the tuba.

KKORO