Long term storage

The bulk of the musical talk
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Long term storage

Post by MaryAnn »

If you know you are putting away your tuba for long term storage, what do you do with the removable slides? (This is a rotary tuba, so no pistons.) I'm inclined to take them out, wipe all the goo off them, and wrap them in clean towels. That way at least I do not have to deal with a stuck slide when the opportunity to play it comes up again. I'm anticipating months (at least) of storage.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Long term storage

Post by DouglasJB »

If you do leave the slides in, make sure they are all pulled out a good distance, getting a slide moving is easier pushing it in rather then pulling it out
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Greased slides should still be greasy, months or years later. If it were going to be years I'd consider removing the valves.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I don't know how to remove the valves, so they stay in. I have no idea how long this will be stored. It may be whatever length of time it takes me to find out if I'l ever be able to play it again. I'm pretty stubborn, but some problems appear to have no solution.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I would leave slides out as recommended, and maybe even take it to a repair shop and get the rotors taken off if you don't know how? Put them in bags labeled 1-5. At least, that's what I would do with a piston horn.. I don't know how different storing rotors is.
Hope that helps
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Well I took the slides out and left the rotors in. It will be what it will be.