Trip to Baltimore to see vintage horns

The bulk of the musical talk
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Trip to Baltimore to see vintage horns

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Cool story. It is allthought very far from germany... i take a look on the homepage from Baltimore brass. Some of this fantastic instruments are listet. Some not. Did you make some photos? I'm interested to see this vintage beautys...
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

What type of 4/4 was that New York? Did it look like the conn monster/Eb giant bell, or was it different? Did you get any photos while you were there? Sounds like they have some neat things that aren't up on the website.
Tubas
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I believe the Conn Company had a shop in NYC c. 1897-1902....
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

YORK-aholic wrote:I would really like to visit there. If only they could move Baltimore a little closer to southern California...
Southwest has some nonstop flights between LAX and BWI..............
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

Conn did have a New York Store, and at one it was managed by no less than William Paris Chambers - renowned cornet soloist and composer ("Chicago Tribune" "Boys of the Old Brigade" and others). One of Chambers' tricks was demonstrating cornets in Conn's NYC store by holding the instrument upside down and playing the last variation of the Arban Carnival of Venice by raising his fingers...
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I'd be interested in seeing that rotary valve Conn. I had one that Steve Dillon opined was a Custom Jumbo, possibly (and purely speculating) had a connection to Fred Geib. It ended up with a collector, in exchange for an Eb Conn that I wish I'd never sold.
That tuba was huge, a throat like a Chicago York, had a gorgeous tone and was about as horrible pitch-wise as could be. Every harmonic was dramatically different from the others, beyond the natural tendencies. But it was a sound that made me think of an Alex. Apparently Matt had the thing and went over it but found nothing obvious. It would take a lot of cutting and reworking to fix pitch, and that would likely ruin the look and sound.

The valves were possibly made by Schmidt, and were front loading. The wrap was so tight on the back that there was no room to access a back cap.
Rev Rob
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Rev Rob »

One of the pitfalls to be aware of when visiting Baltimore Brass Works is the purchasing of a vintage tuba.
Beginning again to be a tuba player.
1291 King Double B flat with detachable bell.
"The hills are alive, with the sound of (tuba) music."
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Lost, I played that rotary Conn a while back, if this is the same one. The valves were noisy enough that you wouldn't need a percussion section. I think they were string-action, like my Marzan. But the sound was quite powerful.

Rev Rob, my Alex and I would agree!

When I go to BBC, I have to avoid taking a mouthpiece with me if I have to get in and out quickly. Otherwise I'll want to try all the tubas in the place.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop