"winner"

The bulk of the musical talk
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: "winner"

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote: Approaching an audition more like a job interview, and less like "all-state band tryouts"...
remove from lexicon: "winner"
add to lexicon: "job"

bloke is someone who gets it. Americans are so focused on win/loss, why do you think nerves/beta blockers are such a huge topic with working professionals? Because the standard is to play the part perfectly/as the conductor asks/with your colleagues. You can do more than that, but NEVER less. :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

About “Easy to work with”: The late Jeff Rew—bass player and all around nice guy—was quoted saying “The key to a successful music career is to play your *** off and be nice to everybody. It’s sad that so many that can do the first thing don’t do the second.”

http://www.mtexpress.com/obituaries/jef ... 9c4fb.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Every time I log in some Russian babe still wants to "date" me.

Winner!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Three Valves wrote:Every time I log in some Russian babe still wants to "date" me.

Edward Snowden is still tryin' to look out for you, man! 8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Post by Watchman »

The "all state band" thing is the real lure. I mean, here you are, some awkward kid in middle school or high school who can rock out on the tuba. You get so much attention and adulation from the band directors and other band kids when you make all state. Gee, you're really special! Your name got read on the announcements, and the yearbook might give you your own page! Also, you get to take a trip, miss school, and play in this awesome band. The rehearsals and concert are the most fun you've ever had in your life. That cute girl who plays flute from a school down state might like you. Well....she did look at you a few times when she had a few rests and the tubas were playing loud. Probably still counts. If only you could do this every day! Wait....people in these "symphony orchestras" do this everyday? How do you do that? Win an audition? You got all state and you're super good, so that should be easy. You can play "Dee Walk-your" and "Fontane dee Roma" almost from memory. You will definitely be the coolest kid from your high school in ten years. They might even invite you to play your tuba at the ten year reunion! Then they will be so sad when they have to go back to their regular people jobs, and you get to play tuba all day.

Bloke, I guess what I'm trying to say is that getting a teenager to see an orchestra audition as anything other than "the tuba Olympics" isn't easy.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I doubled on bass guitar to be the King of Blue Eyed FUNK!!

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Linda, Joe and Richard.

The Carpenbergers!!