5 valves
5 valves

Re: It was Carol...

Postby MikeMason » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Awesome!
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with heavyweight manatuska
Eastman 6/4 with Blokepiece symphony with profundo rim.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Postby toobagrowl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:54 am

The valve smacking sound is distracting....
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am

I see no stand or music . . . heck of a long and complex piece to memorize.

Impressive performance.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby doublebuzzing » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm never overly impressed by the ability to memorize pieces. I have seen both Phil Smith and Charlie Schlueter play the Haydn trumpet concerto (rather easy piece to memorize). Both of them had the music in front of them and sounded better than any player I've seen play it on memory.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Postby hup_d_dup » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Wow. Tough crowd.

The valve noise was probably emphasized by mic placement. I doubt it would have been as distracting live at the venue.

doublebuzzing wrote:I'm never overly impressed by the ability to memorize pieces.

I'm not absolutely sure the piece was memorized . . . I just didn't see any sheet music. Carol's performance was impressive on its own merits, memorized or not. If a different person at a different time played a different piece on a different instrument, it doesn't have much relevance, memorized or not.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Well executed. I liked it.

I've have never seen that sort of belt-and-socket arrangement for holding a tuba. It looks to be easier to deal with than some sort of shoulder/back strap. Anyone know if it is available commercially?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby ppalan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 am

The Big Ben wrote:I've have never seen that sort of belt-and-socket arrangement for holding a tuba. It looks to be easier to deal with than some sort of shoulder/back strap. Anyone know if it is available commercially?

It is the same one (or at least similar to the belt) used by Willfried Brandstötter from Mnozil Brass. Here is a link to the only place I've seen that provides them. I have no idea of cost since they are all custom made.
https://tubtub.jimdo.com/deutsch/tubagurt/

Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Postby MartyNeilan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:17 am

Amazing to see the smack about her performance, especially on the YouTube comments. I will start by saying that choice of horn is one of my very least favorite solo instruments. Despite that potential impediment this was an incredible live performance from both a technical and artistic standpoint. I doubt most “tuba jocks” could come anywhere close. If someone changed the description to show a big name of yesteryear on a B&S F, everyone would be fawning over the exact same recording.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Location: I play the tuba and ride a motorcycle. Not at the same time.

Postby hup_d_dup » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 am

Sometime after my last post in January I asked Carol if the piece was memorized, as seems to be apparent in the video. She said yes, she likes to memorize because it allows her "to be in the moment."

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am

MartyNeilan wrote:Amazing to see the smack about her performance, especially on the YouTube comments. I will start by saying that choice of horn is one of my very least favorite solo instruments. Despite that potential impediment this was an incredible live performance from both a technical and artistic standpoint. I doubt most “tuba jocks” could come anywhere close. If someone changed the description to show a big name of yesteryear on a B&S F, everyone would be fawning over the exact same recording.

When this post came up on the TNFJ Playlist, I went back and listened again. Very nice! Who has or hasn't played this also is simply not germaine to the discussion. It was a great performance.

I did look at the YouTube comments. There are always a few YouTube Warriors who are "critics without portfolio" and must comment. I'd rather consider a comment a little further down the page. A former Army tubist developed a lung condition and had to stop playing. It was terminal but he was lucky and received a lung transplant and is able to play again. Quoting: "Last year I was blessed to have had a double lung transplant and am currently teaching my new lungs (and embouchure) how to play again. I listen to Carols' you tube performances for inspiration. There are others I listen to as well, but Carols' tone is one I endeavor to emulate. Much love and thanks."

Good enough to do that? Good enough for me.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Stryk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:19 am

swillafew wrote:https://youtu.be/dhTAv5htvs0

This is what I want to sound like.

Well, you have to get some bell bottoms, a cute top, and.....oh ya, be a MONSTER player. The sound and technique are not something not just anyone can accomplish. Very few people have the innate talent and are willing to pair it with incredibly hard work to get to the point she is. In my opinion, she is already one of the "great ones".
Terry Stryker
Alexander 163 BBb
Amati Kraslice 481 C
Mirafone 184 C
Mirafone186 C
Mirafone186 BBb
Lyon & Healy 1904 C
Kane Stealth C
Other non-descript tuba fodder
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby the elephant » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:19 pm

doublebuzzing wrote:I'm never overly impressed by the ability to memorize pieces. I have seen both Phil Smith and Charlie Schlueter play the Haydn trumpet concerto (rather easy piece to memorize). Both of them had the music in front of them and sounded better than any player I've seen play it on memory.

You must not have dyslexia like me. I have to memorize stuff because under pressure the dyslexia kicks in; pieces I have played for years will suddenly look different to me on paper. I cannot perform guest recitals because I need adequate time to work up the program to recital standards and then fully memorize everything. This is the only way my eyes cannot screw me over in front of an audience. I have had to perform three short notice recitals and all went really poorly. I could not concentrate on playing the horn in tune, make phrases that have direction, or even breath properly because the sudden apparent alterations to all the music on the page due to stress causes me to screw up, making the stress build and finally take control.

I am a very solid soloist as long as I fully memorize the pieces to be performed. This takes me longer than most people. It is now also why (after three embarrassing performances that I did NOT want to do and had tried hard to get out of) I no longer take on guest recitals with less than a full year's notice. It takes me that long to work up an hour of solo music to a high level and then memorize it so that I cannot make a mistake. I have dine six recitals since I have been here, and the first three were all busts. These last three (all recent) have gone remarkably better. Memorization is a though skill to do properly so that you have every, single nuance down, every marking on the page. It takes time and lots of playing *with* the music to memorize.

If you are not impressed by the tons of extra work needed to play at her level AND by memory then you are in need of some higher standards or you have not been playing too many guest solo recitals lately.

It takes a lot of EXTRA dedication to do this properly and deserves your respect simply because of that single fact. Please, by all means, post some of *your* solo recitals that *you* did in addition to your full time workload as a professional player.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm

well...
I greatly respect memorization, as well as the step beyond memorization, which is knowing.

There are things - playful/artful/entertaining things - that can occur to the brain when it is concentrating on performing and not dividing that concentration with "staring at text".
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Return to Who played tuba ...