MEAD SPRINGS

The bulk of the musical talk
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

MEAD SPRINGS

Post by eeflattuba »

Just installed some mead springs on my 25 year old besson sovereign 981 ee flat tuba. Makes a world of difference. Got some to put in my Yamaha neo bb flat. Will put these in tomorrow when I get a chance. Anybody else use these and did you notice any difference?
Norlan Bewley
pro musician
pro musician

Re: MEAD SPRINGS

Post by Norlan Bewley »

Yes, I use them on both my Holton HP 331 and Holton 345 tubas and my Besson 968 euphonium. They are fantastic!
Norlan Bewley
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

Do they lighten the action of the pistons?

My MW3450 has quite a heavy action and I would like it to be easier.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
bbocaner
bugler
bugler

Post by bbocaner »

pecktime wrote:Do they lighten the action of the pistons?

It really depends on what you put them in. They are designed for Besson compensating instruments and are significantly heavier than the stock OEM springs in that application. Even the "light" set. If you put them in an instrument that's designed with longer springs in mind, they might end up with less pre-loading and be lighter.
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

Thanks for the reply bbocaner. My horn guy put some lighter Yamaha springs in and i’m digging the 3450 with lighter action!
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

bbocaner wrote:
pecktime wrote:Do they lighten the action of the pistons?

It really depends on what you put them in. They are designed for Besson compensating instruments and are significantly heavier than the stock OEM springs in that application. Even the "light" set. If you put them in an instrument that's designed with longer springs in mind, they might end up with less pre-loading and be lighter.
Very true. While these springs work wonders on my besson ee flat the set I acquired for my bb flat neo will have to be significantly adjusted by my local tech in order for them to work effectively.
sebastubes159
bugler
bugler

Post by sebastubes159 »

Love these springs, I have had them for a few months now and I have not noticed much ware. I do not know their lifespan, but they work really well! :tuba:

Sebastian G. Rodriguez
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Post by peter birch »

they work well for me too, in a Courtois 181, the only thing I've learned is to keep the packaging so that if someone takes all the valves and all the springs out at the same time you have some clue as to which one goes where
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+